Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wearing alot of armor question  (Read 1964 times)

django623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wearing alot of armor question
« on: June 22, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »

It's been awhile since I posted here but this has been bothering me for about a year and a half now.

When playing adventure mode let's say I'm wearing a chain shirt,chain leggings,breastplate,greaves and a cape. Why is it when I get attacked it says I was stabbed through my cape to tear my kidney or something of the sort? Same has happened when I just load up with layers and layers of cloaks,caps,etc. Why does it never have my best armor as what is blocking the attack? Does the cape/layering of armor cancel it out with a priority list kind of thing or what?

Thanks.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Wearing alot of armor question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 01:41:39 pm »

Perhaps it goes through block checks through all the armour. Obviously it went through your armour, but it just used the top layer to tell you the name, as it would utterly spam the announcements if it names every single peice of armour.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

django623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »

Perhaps it goes through block checks through all the armour. Obviously it went through your armour, but it just used the top layer to tell you the name, as it would utterly spam the announcements if it names every single peice of armour.

well I was not wanting it to do that I just didn't know if it only counts what is the top layer for the defense check.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:24 pm »

well I was not wanting it to do that I just didn't know if it only counts what is the top layer for the defense check.

It counts all layers. Which is why wearing multiple layers increases your defense immensely.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »

It works kinda like this...

Say you have an iron breast plate and a robe underneath. A bandit hits you in the chest with a bronze sword. The bronze sword cannot penetrate the breastplate. It becomes a bludgeon attack, with the breastplate now the object attacking you, which must go through the robe to hurt you.

So whats happening is that whatever clothing layer the computer decides is next to the skin is the only layer your battle announcements mention, if the attack goes past the other layers of clothing/armor, if it bruises fat, skin muscle, or chips a bone, whatever.

django623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:10:11 pm »

Say you have an iron breast plate and a robe underneath. A bandit hits you in the chest with a bronze sword. The bronze sword cannot penetrate the breastplate. It becomes a bludgeon attack, with the breastplate now the object attacking you, which must go through the robe to hurt you.

So whats happening is that whatever clothing layer the computer decides is next to the skin is the only layer your battle announcements mention, if the attack goes past the other layers of clothing/armor, if it bruises fat, skin muscle, or chips a bone, whatever.

Ahhhh that sums it up the best!

Other question (well 2 really) Is when i'm picking an armor, is <<Iron Breastplate>> better than Iron Breastplate or does the <<>> just mean its engraved? And on that note should i be looking at the lower yield and fracture rating of the armor or the weight/density rating?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 01:43:02 pm »

Other question (well 2 really) Is when i'm picking an armor, is <<Iron Breastplate>> better than Iron Breastplate or does the <<>> just mean its engraved? And on that note should i be looking at the lower yield and fracture rating of the armor or the weight/density rating?

<<>> Means it's been decorated making it more valuable but not any stronger. In my experience armor material is much more straight forward than weapons, it gets stronger and weaker by the material in the succession you'd expect.

django623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 01:53:33 pm »

<<>> Means it's been decorated making it more valuable but not any stronger. In my experience armor material is much more straight forward than weapons, it gets stronger and weaker by the material in the succession you'd expect.

Ok but say i'm playing the genesis mod which has this chart;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do I pick black bronze plate because of it's weight/density or adamantine plate because of its fracture/yield?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:58:19 pm »

Ok but say i'm playing the genesis mod which has this chart;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do I pick black bronze plate because of it's weight/density or adamantine plate because of its fracture/yield?
I'm pretty sure Fracture is what you want unless you're planning to beat people to death with it.