Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of tools  (Read 743 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Lots of tools
« on: June 18, 2011, 02:50:16 pm »

Maybe a tool would be required for most jobs: spade for farming, rod for fishing, chisel for mason  etc and you couldn't do that task without appropriate tools

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of tools
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »

I do like the idea of needing a set of 'Mason's tools' in order to build a mason workshop etc. So you'd have to bring the tools with you on embark, or make them. It'd make a whole the game... very different.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »

Before you post a suggestion please do a quick search. Read it, then only post if you have something new to add.

This is so we can build on suggestions instead of having the same old debates about the same old ideas.

It's on the eternal suggestions list. #22 with 131 votes. Please do your research.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:20 am »

Just a quick summary of the debates...

Kotaku has convinced everyone except me that we should have a generic "set of tools" which would either be required or would increase the quality of the product.

I, on the other hand, believe that there should be a whole variety of different tools and that we should also completely overhaul how workshops and the manager system work
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:13:32 am »

I would love to see tools implemented.  We model the damage on every sock, yet a dwarf can turn a iron bar into armor with his beard and hands.  My favorite discssion so far

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66917.0

Also toady said he is not going to do this, but maybe he will make it moddable. I think that would be my favorite route.