Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dodge-Fall Traps  (Read 5936 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dodge-Fall Traps
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »

Spikes at the bottom are your best bet for lethality, while a smooth landing will give you a few survivors.  Military stationed at the bottom could help a lot, as they'd be able to mop up the survivors, gaining skills and using goblinite weapons.  Even if the goblin survives the fall, it'll be stunned, giving your dwarves precious time to hack them apart.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 12:42:15 am »

Greiger mentioned that only unlinked spikes atack a falling target?

Is this accurate?  Linked spikes in an inactive raised position dont strike?

Otherwis leave em off and up for the fall and pull a few times for survivors
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:27 am »

I mentioned unlinked just to point out that they don't need a mechanism linkage to work.   I imagine linked spikes in the raised position will still work.  Sorry for the confusion.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19:44 am »

Any upright spike, linked or no, will strike a falling enemy.  Any lowered spike will not strike anyone.  Any linked spike that raises, will strike any enemy on that tile, and will remain up to strike any future falling enemies.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 11:43:34 am »

Actually it's the copper stuff that I want since I have about three z's of solid magnetite.
Everything you can do with copper, you can do better with iron. Do you want diversity or alloys or what?

Primarily for diversity because i like making my water pump stacks out of copper. Its just funny that i always seem to have access to mountains of copper bit this time i have everything but (including an overabundance of the metals for copper alloys that i like to make furniture out of).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 02:14:07 pm »

I prefer a deep but not too deep pit. 5 levels works fine.

At the bottom of the pit is a barracks, where I have the new recruits training. They're on active/training all the time, meaning they will automatically attack any hostiles in sight.

As goblins who fall into the pit are severely injured the fight is usually very one sided, but this gets the recruits used to mass slaughter, and so when they're put onto the front lines they no longer care about anything.

The bottom of the pit is also zoned as a refuse stockpile to minimize hauling. Directly outside of the pit are rows upon rows of butcher and tanner workshops, allowing for rapid butchery of the giblets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

Just make it deep enough to kill 'em all and there won't be anyone alive to land on. Plus, they splash nicely. I had a 10 z-level deep trap that seemed to be 100% effective. Every goblin or troll (or dwarf  >:( ) that fell in it was smashed into a torso, a head, two arms and two legs. It was interesting watching it in slow motion and seeing heads, arms & legs fly up 3 or so z-levels above the bottom of the pit after impact.  :o
I remember reading somewhere that if you make the dodge-me high enough, the creatures falling off the top will explode into bones, meat, and so forth. How high does it have to be to do this? I want to make goblin bone bolts to shoot at more goblins! And stuff like that.

Also be aware that a falling goblin (or anything else) that lands on a living creature is only stunned, not damaged at all. So if a bunch of them come running across, the early ones will hit the ground and break bones, but the second wave may land on the survivors of the first wave and end up unharmed, just stunned for a few moments. So be prepared for some fully functional goblins down there.

Put lots of Weapon Traps down the bottom, to deal with those early ones.
Upright spikes work, too. And don't even need mechanisms!

Actually, they do. Upright spears need to be linked to a lever so they can be raised, and even then it only works if the enemy's already on the tile IIRC, so you can't just have them fall on it.
Actually actually,
A. They start raised, so no mechanisms, and
B. If they fall on spikes while raised, they will indeed take damage.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 2 [3]