Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get my dwarves to work? (they're not doing anything)  (Read 2095 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't seem to get my dwarfs to do anything. so far I've build a mineshaft and a tunnel, some stockpiles and some workshops. when I press 'u' all of them have no job except one, which is hunting. I'm playing in the Lazy Newb Pack and I have Dwarf Therapist and Runesmith and according to these programs they all have jobs. most of them are ecstatic, one is happy and one is content.

Am I doing something wrong?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my dwarves to work? (they're not doing anything)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:05:38 pm »

Try clicking "read dwarves" in DT. That'll update its job list.

If your dwarves aren't doing anything they probably just don't have anything to do. It's up to you to designate tasks for them.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:23:57 pm »

I'd recommend you this tutorial

It may sound stupid but...
did you put orders in the workshops? (like building a bed in the Carpenter's Workshop?)
did you designate areas for gathering plants, chop trees?
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »

ironically, that's the video I'm watching haha. I'm watching and playing at the same time

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:37:22 pm »

ok I figured it out