Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: magma forges  (Read 3856 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: magma forges
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 12:36:17 am »

Indeed, the wiki may still make mention of using fortifications to seal your magma forges' supply.  This is still bugged and doesnt work, so do follow the above advice
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 01:28:15 am »

Of all the fun things with magma forges, my favorite was a personal experience.  I had a magma vent from the 2nd cavern, that pierced the 3rd, and went into the magma sea.  Full of magma, an enormous pillar of fire and obsidian.  I got a message that a FB had appeared in the first cavern, and thought nothing of it.  All three caverns were walled off.

A few years later, I'm expanding my forges, when POW, FB appears in my fort!  It had taken "A deep pit" from the 1st to the 2nd cavern, and then taken the magma vent from the 2nd, bypassing the 3rd, and into the sea, and then up through a recently removed floor tile.  My legendary smiths and my nameless smelters were dead within seconds, and a few haulers after that, until my military managed to defeat it on the stairs.  Que Tantrum Spiral.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 01:49:26 am »

Definitely follow the advice above to use impassable workshop square to 'cap' magma holes. That goes back to 40d even, my experience with Fire Imps that is. It also helps to keep even pressurized magma from spurting out ( at least I think it does, I haven't played with pumped magma much ). Copper aren't magma-safe, but iron are as well as other materials listed here http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe.

'Best way' is dependant on playing style, are you the type to want everything in one spot and willing to work for it? Build magma pump stack or http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_piston if you're a bit more insane. You just want it to work and don't mind the distance? Build the workshops down where the magma sea is, using tunnels and hole-punching channels to spread magma under the workshops.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 05:48:36 am »

I have switched caverns off because i never use them. this way i get straight to magma sea

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 06:24:51 am »

I have switched caverns off because i never use them. this way i get straight to magma sea
How many usable underground levels do you have, on average?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 11:13:27 am »

Since he's using advanced world params, he has as many as he wants.  I do the same, caverns are usually just a bother for me so I turn them off, and have ~30 solid layers +5 soil.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »

I often channel out the top layer of soil, remove ramps, and floor over it.  This provides some small amount of trees, grazing space, and farmland (since there are no underground plants), and best of all this is devoid of any boulders or bare stone, as you get on the natural surface.  I've started liking sheep, a 10x10 plot can easily support 5 sheep with a farmer's workshop in the middle, for easy sheering/milking without juggling pastures.  I have bad luck finding rope reed, so yarn is becoming popular.
Pages: 1 [2]