Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eating in a Dining Hall  (Read 1292 times)

buzzburbank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Eating in a Dining Hall
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

I have a very valuable dining hall (40 masterwork tables/chairs and designated as a meeting hall) yet my little bearded bastards insist on eating and drinking in my food piles. I've tried designating the food piles as restricted traffic areas, but they still come in and eat their meals in the storage rooms.

Is there a way to force my minions to eat in the lovely dining room I've made for them? Do I have to assign a chair and table to each individual dwarf in order to get them to eat in the one room I want them to?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eating in a Dining Hall
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:17:56 am »

Burrows?
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:27:31 am »

I think that if your piles are too far from the dining room, they will not bother going there. However, i do not know much of the game mechanics, but that is what i have noticed.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:40:43 am »

Dining hall is next to stockpile is next to kitchen area is next to farms.

If you didn't understand that, just put all of your food-related processes close together. This makes it work as well as possible.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:44:37 am »

I set my dining rooms as meeting halls.

I think this makes people eat in them more often.. or it just appears that way because idlers hang out?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:51:27 am »

My dining rooms tend to be also the meeting zone, and have food and drink stocks WITHIN it, if I can help it. I believe that would help, however some dwarves just don't seem to be inclined to socialized and hide out, so it might be personality thing?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:11:44 am »

Dwarves never drink at a table. They drink straight from the barrel and absorb the rest in their beards so they can finish it later. That's why they take several weeks to die of thirst.
[Signature]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:17 am »

1) Burrows, if they're assigned to a burrow outside the dining hall, they'll never enter it.
2) Drinking is done at the barrels, this is normal.
3) You don't have to assign anything.  Building the chair and table will cause them to eat there.  Making it a room allows them to get happy thoughts from the value.  Making it a meeting hall allows them to idle there and throw parties.