Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My RPG Maker VX creation  (Read 928 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My RPG Maker VX creation
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:39:11 pm »

I've been working on an RPG Maker creation for the last 2 weeks or so and now that I'm finally done with the first chapter of it, I thought I'd put it up for the merciless critique of the B12 forums.

This is my first real work in RPGMaker VX. I fiddled a bit with it a year ago or so, but ended up losing all my work to a computer malfunction.
Seeing as I'm only learning the ropes of the program, its pretty stock fantasy fare, clichéd some might even say :)
Although I haven't aimed for distinctive humorous approach, hopefully one or two situations may raise a smile.

As for critique, please go ahead and let loose. Spelling errors, grammatical errors, plot inconsistencies, mapmaking errors, balancing issues, etc.
English isn't my first language so there might be some odd syntaxes (??) at times, but better to get them now than when this abomination is complete.
I'm especially interested in opinions on how the dialogue comes off. I have a tendency to grow a bit verbose at times I feel, so if you think some of the plot expositions (the few  that there are for now) drag on for too long, or are too short please let me know.

If you have any sort of suggestions or experiences with RPG Maker VX you want to share, that would be great too. Like I said, I pretty much a newbie a this so any advice would probably be useful.

People who have worked with RPG Maker themselves will also note that I've left the file unencrypted so if you feel like opening it up and taking a look inside go ahead. Any insights gleaned from this would be very useful to me.

In any case and without further ado, I present to you Unlikely Cliché: Farmgrown Hero, Chapter 1!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HO1W0ZK9

https://rapidshare.com/files/2608426832/Unlikely_Clich___Farmgrown_Hero_WIP.rar

Note that the RTP is included so just unzip and install to directory of choice.

Edit: You can play as either male or female, which at the moment has little other effect than making more work for me, other than a few lines here and there. Also, I just realised the main character is still named "Testo" by default  ::)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:03:15 pm by Sartain »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My RPG Maker VX creation
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »

What, 80 views and not a single comment?  ???

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:21:09 pm »

The "other games" section is the Kingdom of Lurkers, lol.

Don't mind it too much.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:24:09 pm »

Edit: You can play as either male or female, which at the moment has little other effect than making more work for me, other than a few lines here and there. Also, I just realised the main character is still named "Testo" by default  ::)
You know, Testo is an excellent name for a male character, but a tad... awkward for female ;).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

You know, Testo is an excellent name for a male character, but a tad... awkward for female ;).
Unless it is dwarf that is.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:27:50 pm »

Well, the option to change it is there. I simply left in a playtest name as being named " " was also rather awkward for conversations, male or female :)