Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adventurer training programs.  (Read 12055 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer training programs.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 08:12:00 pm »

I usually just send my adventurers out into the world without any training. I tried putting a dwarf through an intense training regime of mashing wait while standing next to a groundhog and strangling everything I came across. In the end he was way too powerful, killing a bronze colossus in just a few turns and with no damage to himself. In fact the only time he did take any damage (a minor bruise) was when I just had him running into bandits without paying attention.

In my opinion, it's better to let their skills evolve naturally as Toady intended. It makes it that much more special when you slay a dragon or a decent titan.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 08:18:24 pm »

Wrestling zombies still works.

I go to the banks of evil lakes, or woods or any evil place. Find zombie groundhog/hoary marmot/duck. Put your combat preferences to "close combat" and just go to town on whatever harmless zombie critter you find. Legendary fighter/wrestler is done in a day or two and it will increase almost all of your important attributes.

I hate doing these, since its so tedious and boring, but you can also buy a crutch from the general store and use it to get the crutchwalker skill. Sneak and swim or sneak and crutch-walk forever across some tundra or desert or lake or whatever. I generally don't bother with these, or throwing. At least wrestling zombie ducks is sorta fun in a way.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:53:47 pm »

I usually just send my adventurers out into the world without any training. I tried putting a dwarf through an intense training regime of mashing wait while standing next to a groundhog and strangling everything I came across. In the end he was way too powerful, killing a bronze colossus in just a few turns and with no damage to himself. In fact the only time he did take any damage (a minor bruise) was when I just had him running into bandits without paying attention.

In my opinion, it's better to let their skills evolve naturally as Toady intended. It makes it that much more special when you slay a dragon or a decent titan.

Heh, I guess there's something to be said for overconfidence. I was just playing as him and after turning a recently slain dragon into a masterwork dragon bone greataxe (genesis mod btw) and slaughtering some bogeymen, I encountered a pair of black bears outside an abandoned fort. One of the bears immediately bites my foot off. I start hacking away at its head intending to make its bones into a crutch and retire and I see the purple "**** has bled to death". Thinking it seems too early for the bear to have bled to death I take a closer look and see that it is actually me who bled to death. Turns out that under all his superdwarvenly attributes and legendary skills my adventurer was suffering from a crippling case of hemophilia.

Anyway, on the subject of training, I've found that finding a night creature mate, disabling them, tearing out their eyes and then strangling them is a good way to train a lot of things. They never seem to die of strangulation so you can just keep doing it forever, and since they're helpless without their eyes you can ignore passing out from exhaustion.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:16 am »

The first night I go into everyone's houses and start murdering them in their sleep, when the entire town stops fighting me and starts running in terror I know I'm ready.

This. I'll kill off an entire civilization in a max size world and then move to the next region over.

One of my only two exceptions to a no savescumming policy: Clean world (pre-adventurer) in case I die after wiping out a civ but before doing anything cool.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 03:05:27 pm »

I train throwing+archer+knapping using a macro to pick up rocks, sharpen them, and throw them.  Macro:  "g-a-x-right-enter-enter-t-e-left-enter", and then I press ctrl-p a few times to duplicate the macro and make it run 16-64 times in a row.

I train shield user+armor user+dodging by wearing a little armor, grabbing some harmless wildlife, and lying down next to it.  I record a "....." macro and hold down ctrl-p.

I train swimming+sneaking by sneaking in water.  Macro:  "left-right" and then press ctrl-p to duplicate it.

Protips for macros:  at the end of init.txt, set [MACRO_MS:5] so the macros run faster, but they're still not fast enough for the keypresses to interfere with each other.  You can also press ctrl-p to play a macro while you're recording, and it'll play+record the entire macro up to that point.  "a-b-a-b-ctrlp-ctrlp" becomes ("a-b-a-b"x2)x2, which gives "a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b-a-b".  It's an easy way to get extremely long repetitive macros for training.
[/URL]
This training method wielded surprising results.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 07:36:36 pm »

I've only had disastrous results using macros.

Made a throwing macro only to have some stray wolf come along and... well I could'nt stop the macro and long story short the macro ended up abandoning one of my saved fortresses and ultimately killed my adventurer.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 02:01:45 am »

I remember there was a system of melting all fat off of your adventurer by setting yourself on fire once.... Made you fire/magma proof. Finding a reliable way to sever your nerves would be good too. Does cutting out the stomach get rid of the need to eat? The bladder get rid of drinking? Anyone have answers on that? If we could perfect these methods, we could make the ultimate adventurer... Immune to pain, never eating, sleeping, or growing tired. Able to withstand dragon fire... [Evil laugh]
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27:52 am »

I remember there was a system of melting all fat off of your adventurer by setting yourself on fire once.... Made you fire/magma proof. Finding a reliable way to sever your nerves would be good too. Does cutting out the stomach get rid of the need to eat? The bladder get rid of drinking? Anyone have answers on that? If we could perfect these methods, we could make the ultimate adventurer... Immune to pain, never eating, sleeping, or growing tired. Able to withstand dragon fire... [Evil laugh]

That really does sound awesome, you could make a super-soldier the likes of which no one has ever seen before.  Anyone have any ideas how to do this without dying?  Are there any mods that allow this sort of thing? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 04:48:39 am »

That really does sound awesome, you could make a super-soldier the likes of which no one has ever seen before.  Anyone have any ideas how to do this without dying?  Are there any mods that allow this sort of thing?

Quick! Search Google for some sort of dwarven amateur surgeon mod! Or I suppose your adventurer could search Craigsdwarfs list for a back alley surgeon.
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!
Pages: 1 [2]