Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best defence is a good attack.  (Read 722 times)

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best defence is a good attack.
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »

Is there any chance of ever being able to attack and perhaps lay siege to the goblin forts or towns someday? I mean its fun to fight off a siege but I want to be able to raid them and burn THEIR homes to the ground. :)

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best defence is a good attack.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:49:28 pm »

I believe that falls under the Army Arc.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:38 pm »

Ahh my bad, I did a forum search and didn't see anything specific for it.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:58:40 pm »

Here's the Development Goals for Military

Military

* Dwarven armies
          o Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
          o Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
          o Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
          o Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site
    * Villain interactions
          o Must adjust villains etc. to allow them to operate at dwarf mode time scale
          o Make armies/beasts that attack fortress come from actual groups moving on world map
          o Ability to fight other armies with your dwarven armies
                + Larger armies should spread over multiple mid-level map squares
                + Ability to create fortifications/lines/etc. instead of spreading haphazardly
                + There are complications to be worked out if you can zoom in to battles and control them at the local level, concerning what happens to your fortress
                + If you can zoom in, situations like being surrounded need to be respected and have the desired results regardless of what area is zoomed in on
          o Allow villains to attempt to demand tribute from you
    * Improved sieges
          o Eliminate remaining edge-of-map exploits
          o More highly trained attacking soldiers when approprate
          o Many trap exploits are handled above by requiring more to produce a trap, things like cage traps should make more sense vs. large creatures etc. (respect strength/ability vs. material, large cages might be separate object)
          o Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards
                + Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
                + Ability to build bridges/ramps
                + Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb
          o Learning from mistakes if first attempted assault plan fails badly
                + For instance, if many siegers are killed, caged, etc. in a given hallway, they shouldn't generally go that way again, even if that means building/climbing/digging
          o Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.