Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tower of God (Broken)  (Read 869 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
The Tower of God (Broken)
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:09:48 am »

Map became corrupted. Yay.  :'(

The Tower Of God
A Story of Dwarfkind's Betrayal

All sentient beings will at one point in their life reach the inevitable betrayal of their true god. Whether this is the forsaking of the Pantheon, or perhaps the elevating of one lesser deities status above that of Armok's, or by some odd fanaticism, some unholy twist of a mind, the creation of a new god, to be worshiped, and revered.

This is the story of one such deviation from Armok's grace, the story of sacrilege and depravity, and it's ultimate punishment. This is the story of one overseer, and a following of unwitting dwarves. This is the story, of The Tower of God.

Authors Note: This is my attempt at simultaneously creating a fortress (Specifically a tower) and writing an enjoyable story for you fine folks here, with the majority of the events in the story being supplied by the game, and the majority of the plot being supplied by my imagination. Updates will most likely be sparing as I'm actually a pretty busy guy, and unfortunately don't have as much time as I would like for creative endeavors. I guess I should warn in advance that this story is extremely sacrilegious, and devout followers of Armok may be offended by it's contents. Oh, and I'll try and supplement the story with as many in game pictures as I can justify including, however, there won't be any at first as I've already played 9 dwarf years of the game, without any screenshots. Oh, and I'll probably use a lot of these horizontal line thingies, cause I like em.

Genesis
   After years of searching, my life dwindling away, and hope for finding the perfect spot fading, it has come to me in a dream, sent undoubtedly by my one true God. It will be a long trek across dangerous lands, but I will know the way. First, though, I will need to find myself a group of dwarves to accompany me. They will not know my true intentions, but I know they will follow me. Along with the standard expedition fare, I shall bring my own personal belonging with me as well. More gifts from the true God, and enough wealth to make even a devout Blood Follower rethink his ways.

They shall know that this fortress will be richer than the Mountain Home before the earth is even struck.

Braym's Journal
1st of Granite, The Year 500
   We have arrived at the most auspicious of times! Today is the first day of spring, and the ground is green and lush, with a river cutting straight through the middle of our site. A most unfitting place for Dwarves to settle, but our leader has promised us riches enough for none of us to care. Don't take me for a fool, though, I did not follow this Dwarf blindly into the middle of a savana. No, I saw what he kept in those boxes, hidden away from the rest of us, those gemstones he would fondle so happily at night, cooing to them, telling them stories. Diamonds, by Armok, black ones, at that! And all manner of other Gemstone, Rubies, Sapphires, Emeralds. Enough to adorn a great hall thrice.
   Although we haven't started working yet, I can already hear the miner's complaining about what they've been tasked to do, and I don't blame them. Our overseer has demanded that all the land in the immediate area be lowered 5 feet. He demands perfect flatness. "For the fields" he screamed, when one of the miners pointed out that the savanna was already as flat as it was going to get. "There are rocks everywhere! We must lower the ground for our farm's fields!" He huffed away as the miners shrugged, undoubtedly to go fondle his gems some more.
   I have it easy though. I am the noble herbalist. Sure, I've got to work hard for these first few months, but by the end of the year I'll be lounging about laughing at my harder working brethren. Or I'll just get reassigned, but who cares about the future, I've got to life in today! And today I need to start working, because although the land is lush now, I know that three short months from now, the future will start drying out all of the plants.

They will complain, and they will bicker. They will hate living out in the sun's embrace for years, but they will grow accustomed to these changes, and then they will be more willing to accept others. They will learn the passion of the One True God.

Ok, that's all for now. Not to spoil the story, but the next installment will PROBABLY take place 10 dwarf years from now. It turns out channeling away everything on an embark takes a long time. 10 dwarf years in fact. If you have any comments or criticisms, questions or conundrums, please feel free to pester me with them! Even if all you have to say is "Looks good, keep writing, can't wait for more" drop it on me! It's more encouraging than you know.
Part 2: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87365.msg2380517#msg2380517
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:02:49 am by Skelodwarf »
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower of God
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:30:35 am »

Well, to make an extremely original comment :

"Looks good, keep writing, can't wait for more !"

Anyway, what's the size of your embark ? (I can imagine the miners ranting about leveling a whole 4*4 embark, but it's funnier if you imagine the same thing with an 8*8 )

*computer bursts into flames*
Have a dwarven day.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 06:32:22 am »

A bit off topic (well actually a lot off topic), but there's a korean manga called "tower of god". (which has been partially translated)
It's a pretty interesting story

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:10 am »

A bit off topic (well actually a lot off topic), but there's a korean manga called "tower of god". (which has been partially translated)
It's a pretty interesting story
Funny thing I was just thinking about that one too, when I saw the thread title.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:31 pm »

Huh, never heard of it. Although that's probably because I've never really been in to manga, but who cares, death note will always be some of the best stuff I've ever read.

Thank you good Roctiv for your encouragement! I do believe I shall eventually write a part two! But before that... (Goes back to playing with his dwarves)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

Hi! I rathr enjoy tower fortresses.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 06:55:48 am »

First Blood

Yes, finally, the grounds are nearing perfection. Rocks gone, smooth grassy soil all around. Grassy where it's grown in, dirty where it hasn't. He'll be so pleased with my work. Such a large following I've gathered for him, too. Soon now, the tower will rise above the ground, a testament to my faith, and all shall be enlightened.

Braym's Journal
7th of Slate, The Year 509

Nine long years it's been. Nine long years with nothing to write about. The years were easy at first, pick some berries and bring em over to the farmers. After a while they didn't need me doing that, so I got reassigned to the "Beautification squad" drying out the muddied bottoms of lakes using planks of wood. They had me doing that for a long time, along with all of the newcomers. I don't know why they came, and kept on coming, but they did. Story probably got out around the Mountain Home of a Fortress where the food was free, and the days easy. Yeah, the food is free, but you don't know hell until you've spent Nine years of your life stirring mud around with some wood. Everyone's just waiting to go insane here, I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. What we're doing isn't natural, it's undwarven, living up on the surface, not a mountain in sight. Sure we've got lots of booze, but it's always hot from being in the sun. Hot Booze ain't natural. I've got to get going, there's a fuss over by the southern side of the crater. That's what they're calling it, cause that's what it looks like. It's almost done, too.

Why do you challenge me, God? I've always lived in your service, always listening in my sleep, and doing what you ask of me. These fools question me. They yell with anger in their eyes, and blood covering their hands. I know they won't harm me, I know you protect me. Do not worry, I shall never question you, for I know that what you have shown me is the truth.

Braym's Journal
13th of Slate, The Year 509
     Armok, the things I've seen now! The things I wrote, I take them all back! Let us all go back to that horrible mockery of a life we lived before that day. They came as they would, all of us knowing to stay away from the alligators when they decided to make their way through the crater. We all knew better from the one time a group of three dwarves, sober for a bit too long, stumbled over towards one, swiftly ending their lives upon it's sharp teeth. But in the hellish monotony of doing nothing for years, in the sun-caused craze that we've all felt from day to day, a dwarf decided to challenge not one alligator, but three, unarmed.
     Goaded on by his friends, that idiotic dwarf enraged the beast, and it struck faster than one would think it could. In a matter of seconds, the dwarf lay there, bleeding to death, his friends soon to follow. Twelve dwarves they took, as easy as that, and they would have taken more had the overseer not hastily started shouting at a group of nearby dwarves to do something. He screamed at them, spittle flying from his mouth, commanding them to attack the alligators that were quickly approaching the rest of the dwarves. They dutifully charged the reptilian monsters, and managed to subdue one, punching it into oblivion, only suffering one loss. While they stuggled with the already unconcious beast, trying to end it's life, but struggling only having their fists to do the deed, the other two split up, one alligator running out of the crater and away, and the other moving closer to the panicked dwarves. It snapped at two more dwarves, breaking their necks, before it too turned away.
    The impromptu militia raised itself as one, most of their fists resembling bloodied stumps, and returned to the center of camp, to sleep on the ground as we've been doing for years.
Though for the past four days sleep has been rare, as the shouting never ceases. Shouting at eachother, shouting at the overseer, shouting at the skies, it's all the same. Some dwarves have taken to fits of rage, whenever the day becomes too much to deal with. Even my beloved Kari has given in to the occasional outburst.
     I suppose it would be fitting if I explained who she is, first, so I shall. She was one of the original members of this expedition, along with me, always so strong and proud, she was a carpenter, usually tasked with the construction of barrels to fill with berries and booze. I took a liking to her from the first moment I saw her. Her striking red beard would make any dwarf envious, and the care and intensity she put into each barrel she crafted was a thing of beauty. She knows of my attraction to her, but sadly she has never shown any interest in me. Even knowing how I feel about her, she has still been a great friend over the years, often sharing a warm ale on a starry night.
     Regardless, it was last night when she had just finished crafting the last coffin for our fallen brethren. The task was not an easy one, and it had taken a clear toll on her emotionally. She was walking through the night, alert for any danger, ready with her axe in her hand. I saw her, and was going to call out to her, but chose not to, and instead just watched as a cat went up to her from behind, and Mewed solemnly. What came over her, I know not, but I saw the pale glint of iron swing through the moonlit air, cleaving the cat in two, the fiery hairs of her beard twitching. She fell to her knees and cried, and I returned to my tent, the image haunting me, preventing me from sleeping.
 I should have tried to console her.

Okay, that's another part of the tale! I don't exactly know why my carpenter was walking around with an axe, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching her tantrum the hell out of that cat. It wasn't even hers.
I'll admit to Braym not being a real in game dwarf, but I assure you that Kari most certainly is, and she only gets more badass in the next chapter.
Comments and Criticisms please!