Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: kobold daily life. Possible Fort mode and ideas for adventure mode.  (Read 1273 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

So right now kobolds die. That can be fixed quite easily though so lets not pay attention to that.

I would really like to see better kobold caves. Something like complexes of caves that are connected with tunnels. And also, I want the caves to have e purpose. So, once again, I will make a suggestion using an ascii drawing! YAY(or maybe not.).

As you can see(not that the smaller image was made before the bigger one, therefor, the bigger one contains a lot more information), both of these images have a sort of central cave that has a fireplace with some rocks around it. All caves branch of from this central cave. The central cave is where the kobolds go and hang out during the evening and light a fire.

Now I'l talk a bit about where they could branch of into. As you can see in image one and image two, there is a cave that contains a stockpile filled with either food or dead animals. There are also some tables/tools there(Probably stolen). This is the food preparation/kitchen area. If any kobold cave has a kobold cook, then they will most probably have this cave. The kitchen cave is where food is cooked so it doesn't spoil(If there is no cook, then the kobolds eat raw stuff.). All the hunted animals that the kobolds have returned are stored in the kitchen area. Also, if the kobolds have stolen any tools/barrels/pots/jugs, then they are also stored in the kitchen area.

By now you might notice that most caves(please refer to the bottom picture for this) have a "o" like circle in them. That is a fireplace. Any room would be defined by having a fireplace in it. The "x"'s are curtains made from leather(because I didnt ad any cloth curtains :( ) Also, the strange snowflake like symbol that seems to mess up a lot of rooms is a nest. Kobolds each have their own personal nest that they build and lay eggs.

I'm telling you this in such detail because I am regarding the slight chance of a kobold mode of play.

Also, as the top immage shows, there is a small room filled with equipment and stuff. That would be a stash room.  Most kobold leaders would have one. All the stash that they steal is stored there for adventurers to go and try to get. Most special kobolds(such as the bone carvers, the wood carvers, the clay workers, the cloth makers/sowers and others) will have their own cave with their own belongings in it. You can see these caves branching off from a tunnel in both images. The kobold leader will also require a big room for himself with all his stuff.

Also, if the kobold caves population is too big to be sustained just by hunting, then they will also have a farm. The farm however, operates quite differently. The kobolds would scatter the seeds all over the ground and wait for something to just pop out afterwards instead of carefully planting them all. The farm cave has a box in its center. Thats where all the seeds are stored. Only a very good kobold planter would know that it depends on what seed you plant in order to get the right plant out of it.

Also, in the bottom picture, there is a sepperate cave that is not really connected with the central cave and has a tunnel downwards. That's where the mighty wariors and strong men train and spend their day. they will often go on hunting/raiding parties wither underground or above it.

I guess I might have to add some more later but this is all for now. Please tell me your thoughts on this idea. And please tell me if this could be a new mode in a hundred years(Also, the diggers would not be that easy to controle. They could be ordered to dig from point A to point B but they would dig a not so accurate tunnel towards it so that it looks like a cave. Just throwing that idea out there). Thanks.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:21:26 am by antymattar »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: kobold daily life.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:23:31 am »

My thoughts:
-It looks like the kobold caves in your pics have been mined out. Kobolds live in caves like animal-men tribes live in caverns and not in underground 'forts'/whatever.
-I'm pretty sure kobolds are carnivores so farming wouldn't really help them to feed themselves. I suggest splitting into several 'tribes' or moving to a better location when the kobolds cannot get enough meat anymore.
-I like the curtains :)
-I don't really like the nests. I think anything that is soft and warm enough would be good enough for a pair of kobolds, although you might actually mean that with nest.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:27:16 am »

-I don't really like the nests. I think anything that is soft and warm enough would be good enough for a pair of kobolds, although you might actually mean that with nest.
I mean that with nests.

Also, fine then, make them hunters. Who wouldnt love to try a fort mode where your hunters go off map or something. They could herd shit too.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
Re: kobold daily life. Possible Fort mode and ideas for adventure mode.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:59 am »

gosh haha, I really like this suggestion! the areas look a little too clean for a cave, but I think otherwise this'd be a really fun way to handle kobold settlements.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:40 am »

I mean that with nests.

Also, fine then, make them hunters. Who wouldnt love to try a fort mode where your hunters go off map or something. They could herd shit too.

Wasn't Toady's intention to make them steal all their food? Although hunting will obviously needed when they are far away from civilization or all nearby cities have increases their defenses so the pesky kobolds stop stealing their shit...

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:49:35 am »

Kobolds are, primarily, a thieving race.
That doesn't mean they can't be at least somewhat self dependent.
Hunting, if nothing else, could be a Kobold alternative to theft.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:08:39 am »

Bupmin Bumpers!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:55 am »

What better kind of theft is there then theft of another life?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:47:10 pm »

What better kind of theft is there then theft of another life?
Theft of a life without actually taking it. Like imprisoning somebody forever and tormenting them. Thats called hellHfs.