Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quickest way to test if a world has a dwarven civilization?  (Read 761 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm looking to create a 17x17 volcanic region where there is no dwarven civilization, then dig in for a few hundred years gameplay and see what happens over time.  Perhaps some biological experiments with dogs or alpacas.

What's the fastest way to test a world for the existence of a dwarven civilization?

I know there are ways to mod to make this happen, but I don't like modding - suggestions on adjustments to the world gen settings that might help make a nodwarf world would be considered though :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Quickest way to test if a world has a dwarven civilization?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:22:54 am »

Scroll through the existing civs, find a civ that doesn't show any blue characters on the map. Then open up your legends and look up that civ, if history just ends before world gen does, the civ is extinct.

As for worldgen info. Try having an ultrahigh megabeast and nightcreature count. That should cull some of them.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quickest way to test if a world has a dwarven civilization?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:54 am »

Got one :)

I'll be putting it up on DFFD shortly, will post it to general DF gameplay section.

Found a sweet 4x4 embark with brook, volcano, a bit of aquifier, masses of metals, clay, and I think some useable sand.  Basically everything a dwarf might want.

Not only are there no dwarves, there are apparently no humans or elves - though they might just be too far away to trade with me.

There are goblins though.  My war dogs have chased away a few before I picked up every immigrant I'm likely to get (18 total) and slammed the door on the rest of the world till I'm ready to come out again.

The civ listing in game only shows dwarves and goblins - thats my fortress only, right?  No traders from anyone at all after two years.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)