Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark with more dwarves  (Read 1852 times)

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark with more dwarves
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:27:56 pm »

I would like to see the option to start with more (or less) dwarves. I'm surprised there isn't at least an option to change the amount in the world parameters.

It would fit quite nicely as a button to "Add / Remove Dwarf" on the dwarf skills menu when embarking. There could (and should) be a minimum and maximum amount of dwarves to start with. On one hand, you can start with a small yet elite group of skilled dwarves, and on the other you can start with a large group of inexperienced dwarves.

And the more dwarves you start with, the less supplies you will be able to take yet the more supplies you will need (Esp. food/drink). Thus, the difficulty works both ways. Adding dwarves should cost points just like gaining skills or bringing equipment. Perhaps adding more dwarves increases the cost per dwarf similar to skills.

I searched for this request, and found a result from 2007 with only one reply with a broken link: Start with more dwarves.

It just seems like this should be a feature.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark with more dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »

Having more or less dwarves should also alter the maximum proficiencies and spendable stat points of the remaining dwarves.

Though I don't think it'd be necessary to reduce your starting dorfs to make superiors, as most the stats you start with (generally miners, choppers, and growers) easily reach legendary.

What I would like though is to sacrifice that spare I always seem to have for more points to spend on say, animals, seeds stocks and such.

Dwarfs should cost a fair amount, 50 For a dwarf, it'd require a significant amount more to spend his stat points. You could ten have double the amount of peasants than proficient workers and train them from scratch allowing military specific dwarves to be trained right from embark (as far as my experience goes apart from reclaiming I never really start with a military dwarf).
Hello.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »

Well, it used to be that during Reclaim mode, you could bring up to 72 dwarves, who had adequate in 2 military skills and adequate in two civilian skills depending on the value of the fort you abandoned.

Yeah, but I don't see the problem with embarking normally with more or less dwarves, so long as you paid for it to balance the game. Other then it might ruin the whole "7 dwarves" joke thing.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 10:48:58 am »

I usually end up losing one of my miners due to a stupid accident involving a hanging cliff and bad digging choices.
So yeah, spare dwarves would be an excellent thing to introduce.
I love all of the suggestions in this thread.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:03:58 pm »

There's a worldgen parameter which controls how many embark points you get on any embark from the generated world.  There could be a similar parameter for the number of dwarfs you get, so you could get more or less dwarves without changing embark points.