Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: love may be stronger than death.  (Read 1017 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
love may be stronger than death.
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:26 am »

So I had this cool idea that would fit in with all the night creatures.

Here's the idea- If there are two people in love(a romance) and one of them dies, then he might be allowed to come back as aphantom and ask his loved one to join him after his death. If the spouse(/groom) agrees then she will kill herself. If the spouse/groom does not then the lover who had come back from the dead must become a night creature depending on what happened to the other lover. If she simply refused to die, then he becomes a NC and will stalks pairs who have a romance. If the lover died in battle, then the one left will haunt tombs and dead bodies. If the lover drowns then he will haunt the lakes. If the loved one is burned in lava then the phantom will haunt the death place and possibly spontaneously combust. I' m sure that you guys can think of other things too. What do you think?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: love may be stronger than death.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:34:14 am »

Bump? ::)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:35:30 am »

It sounds alright, but I don't think it would fit into DF.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 03:40:16 am »

:( why not?

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 07:39:18 am »

It makes about as much sense to me as the syndrome creatures (necromancers, shifters, etc) that are created during world gen, so I don't see why there couldn't be revenants like that. The only issue I see with it is getting DF to choose who comes back and who doesn't, as I'm not sure it tracks how much lovers like eachother right now-- might be kind of a binary yes/no thing, and we can't have it happening all the time.

Though I suppose it's no worse than asking the game to figure out whether someone wants to live forever enough to become a necromancer, or whether someone decides to profane a temple and get cursed. Once Toady figures out how to make those situations happen enough, but not too often, it's a simple matter to add romantically-linked ghosts / wraiths/ whatever without breaking the game either.

Not sure about the ghost having different attributes based on how its lover died, though. Makes more sense for ghosts in general to have some sort of effect based on cause of death though, rather than what happens after they've died. For instance a ghost that died in jail can have a spectral chain wrapped around its ankle forever, and perhaps if they drowned they'll have the ability to start drowning creatures when it touches them.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:25:36 am »

It makes about as much sense to me as the syndrome creatures (necromancers, shifters, etc) that are created during world gen, so I don't see why there couldn't be revenants like that. The only issue I see with it is getting DF to choose who comes back and who doesn't, as I'm not sure it tracks how much lovers like eachother right now-- might be kind of a binary yes/no thing, and we can't have it happening all the time.

Though I suppose it's no worse than asking the game to figure out whether someone wants to live forever enough to become a necromancer, or whether someone decides to profane a temple and get cursed. Once Toady figures out how to make those situations happen enough, but not too often, it's a simple matter to add romantically-linked ghosts / wraiths/ whatever without breaking the game either.

Not sure about the ghost having different attributes based on how its lover died, though. Makes more sense for ghosts in general to have some sort of effect based on cause of death though, rather than what happens after they've died. For instance a ghost that died in jail can have a spectral chain wrapped around its ankle forever, and perhaps if they drowned they'll have the ability to start drowning creatures when it touches them.

yeah pretty much that.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »

Care to elaborate?

That doesn't say much to me about why you don't want it, and I think its a neat idea myself.

Personally I think I would enjoy encountering a haunted lake with a ghost hovering over it considering its lost lover.

It would need more then that to have a good ghostly surreal feel, and I'm not sure what could create that, but I think that sort of thing has a place in this game.

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »

I just re-read this.

It's actually a good idea.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »

I just re-read this.

It's actually a good idea.
:P

Care to elaborate?

That doesn't say much to me about why you don't want it, and I think its a neat idea myself.

Personally I think I would enjoy encountering a haunted lake with a ghost hovering over it considering its lost lover.

It would need more then that to have a good ghostly surreal feel, and I'm not sure what could create that, but I think that sort of thing has a place in this game.

I think that the lake should have a name in that case. Or perhaps the body of whatever is still in the lake. ::)