Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will badlands turn into cavern biome?  (Read 711 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will badlands turn into cavern biome?
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:54:15 am »

Hi all,
in an effort to give myself an opportunity to play with minecarts in a 'disposable' map (one I didnt intend to keep playing on), I went for a biome I wouldnt normally play in - a treeless badlands. I dug straight down to the cavern layer (about 20z down) to give myself room and enough items to ferry back and forth with my minecart science. The surface itself had no trees and as far as I know, no plants. However as I have breached the caverns, it is starting to grow over with moss and other trees and plants - will the whole map become fertile with cavern flora? Also, once the second and third caverns are breached, will they override the existing flora?

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will badlands turn into cavern biome?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:46:45 am »

things that grow in the caverns are underground plants that can't grow on the surface, likewise surface plants can't grow underground, so the above ground will stay barren. I think if it is barren, you can't plant surface plants there either. Not sure whether the cavern levels mix their vegetations but I don't think they do.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:41:19 am »

Hi all,
in an effort to give myself an opportunity to play with minecarts in a 'disposable' map (one I didnt intend to keep playing on), I went for a biome I wouldnt normally play in - a treeless badlands. I dug straight down to the cavern layer (about 20z down) to give myself room and enough items to ferry back and forth with my minecart science. The surface itself had no trees and as far as I know, no plants. However as I have breached the caverns, it is starting to grow over with moss and other trees and plants - will the whole map become fertile with cavern flora? Also, once the second and third caverns are breached, will they override the existing flora?

Is it covered with above ground plants? It may be due to the presence of water in the caverns making the surface coutn as wet instead of dry.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:55 am »

No, there doesnt seem to be any aboveground plants or trees. Funnily enough, I had been trying to find a site with metals for a long time using my regular formula. Now I've struck out of my comfort zone, this site is FULL of metals and gems. Nothing useful like iron, but plenty of tin, zinc and lignite. I've just loaded the map up, and I am getting sparse fungus growing on the surface and what appears to be a young towercap where there were no plants aboveground before.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:17:10 am »

Are you sure they are growing on the surface? Not in like, a soil tunnel that you've dug through a hill/mountain?
Feeling down? Click Here!

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:23 am »

They are growing on the surface immediately (<5 tiles radius) of the stairs down into the cavern. Unfortunately the only way I'll be able to investigate more will be to reclaim, as my starting 7 couldnt fend off a troll in the first cavern (cant punch it to death!). No plants seemed to be growing in the soil layers/stairs that I could see.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 02:17:18 pm »

look in the bugtracker if someone reported it, since it looks like a bug
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.