Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I REALLY need some good free roguelikes.  (Read 6439 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: I REALLY need some good free roguelikes.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:07:21 pm »

Are there really any roguelikes where that doesn't happen? :P I think Crawl Stone Soup is one of the least likely to arbitrarily kill the player for no reason.

If you're looking for something different and less like Rogue, there's also Transcendence. Instead of an adventurer, you have a spaceship, and it's realtime, with non-grid-based graphics. It's still a roguelike at heart, though. Each star system is a more-or-less contained level of randomly generated space stations and pirates, and the stargates are functionally identical to stairways.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:42 pm »

In SS though you have class/race combos to worry about, and that can make each enemy you run into a problem early game. To me Crawl has this weird difficulty curve where, uber race/class combo withstanding, the first 5 floors are very lethal, the next 4 or 5 not so much, and then the game's difficulty evens out with most rogue-likes.

I think SS has a pretty decent record for flattening characters just as they're starting out though. I find that a pretty frustrating point of the game sometimes. Especially when you're dying to dungeon trash like a kobold and he has something like, runed darts and you have a shirt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »

I strongly recommend Caves of Qud. It doesn't feel like you're playing an old crappy game like it feels with most roguelikes (well, that's just my opinion don't think anyone here agrees with me :P)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 08:37:58 am »

I strongly recommend Caves of Qud. It doesn't feel like you're playing an old crappy game like it feels with most roguelikes (well, that's just my opinion don't think anyone here agrees with me :P)

Caves of Qud is excellent and in no way crappy.  Ditto on rogue survivor.

Also:  it isnt quite a roguelike but its something similar, check out Liberal crime squad just cause its classy
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:05 am »

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=ZapM

Zapm. It's quite fun, and the interface will be familiar to Nethack players (Scrolls are CDs, Wands are space lasers, ect.) . It's futuristic, and quite easy to pick up, while being pretty hilarious at times. (And with tons of references!)

And we have a forum thread with screenshots and posts by the developer: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50451.msg1064030#msg1064030
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 01:05:04 pm »

Isn't Caves of Qud something you have to buy? At least I recall the main menu saying: "UNREGISTERED"

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 01:15:54 pm »

Nope, it's free. Buying it only supports the developer.
Pages: 1 [2]