Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How I feel about working with host-nation forces. Meh.  (Read 1313 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: How I feel about working with host-nation forces. Meh.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:05 pm »

Imagine the outcry if the world realized that the ISI (Pakistani Intelligence service) is perhaps not a "reliable partner". Oh wait...they *already* know that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: How I feel about working with host-nation forces. Meh.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 03:20:44 pm »

When the US operates in any area with both a modern secular government and tribal populations, this is going to happen. Westerners don't understand tribal loyalty or even blood loyalty very well. We get allegiance to political causes, parties and national identity. But the concept that tribal identity > national identity over there is a lesson we've spent the last 11 years only sort of learning.

So while it blows that we can't trust Pakistani Intelligence, it must piss off any well-meaning Pakistanis that Americans basically lump them all together, whether they have an ability to control that perception or not. Playing off America's distrust of Muslim nations and our lack of knowledge about their politics has continued to pay dividends for insurgents.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]