Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you prefer a map with a river or a volcano?

River
- 24 (44.4%)
Volcano
- 30 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: River or volcano?  (Read 3273 times)

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River or volcano?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 03:59:55 pm »

I'm in the both camp.

At home I have a world gen recipe that showcases a 3x5 embark with a brook and a volcano.  My current project (a mega cathedral) is set atop the caldera.  I will post the world gen when I get out of the office.

The embark looks (about...) like:
Code: [Select]
^^^
^v^
^^^
^~~
~~^

^ = mountain
v = volcano
~ = brook

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »

There is probably a few Forrest in there.  I don't recall the exact layout (damn boss not wanting me to play DF on the clock), but I know the volcano is in the top middle and the brook is in the south along the bottom. 

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 04:33:57 pm »

Huh, a lot of people on here tend to grumble at me when I admit to playing DF at work.

I'd be interested in seeing the seed for that, I've generated tons of worlds to get the heavenly mix of Brook/River, Flux, Volcano.

I haven't been able to get one since 40d.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »

Here is the recipe for my fun little world.  (just the default with some seeds).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the embark is here:

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »

I hate volcanoes because it is so hard to find coal, iron, and flux near a volcano. It takes no time at all to dig down forty or fifty levels to the magma sea. You're a dwarf, right? So why are you hanging out near the surface? Build your fort down there, with only a trading post and farm near the surface. Or, if you have coal and iron in abundance, you can construct a 40 z-level iron pumpstack before your second spring and put the magma wherever you want it.

Volcanoes suck, but I always embark near infinite water of some sort.

Pistolero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 03:41:39 am »

Volcano on a river bank isnt really that hard to find. Max variance in world gen params for volcanism and elevation, increase the number of volcanos and river start locations, go. What's tricky is trying to find an embark smaller than 3x3 with a volcano and a 30-40z waterfall. Maybe I should learn to use that world painter thing.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:50 am »

I use the Perfect World seed that was posted on these forums (somewhere) for a ton of volcanos.  My current embark is a volcano with a brook nearby in essentially flat ground, savage region, with marble, obsidian, silver, and hematite found so far.  I haven't found an aquifer and don't remember if one was noted on the embark screen. 
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:32 am »

I hate volcanoes because it is so hard to find coal, iron, and flux near a volcano...

This is probably one of the major points between these two.

From a general geographical point of view you are much more likely to hit iron ores and fuels on the river (almost never hit decent fuel deposits in combo with volcano)
You are also more likely to find flux on the river (volcano may well have marble)

I sometimes embark on volcanos, but its never the metal industry that sways me, I can rig that up anywhere.  I take volcanos when I want to experiment with some major magma traps (100z+ stacks are for masochists)

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 [2]