Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible?  (Read 590 times)

Wheeler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is it possible?
« on: June 09, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »

I was talking with a friend today about a bug I've had where all my dwarves will have the same hair, eye and/or skin colour, along with all immigrants who arrive. He said I could solve this by editing how my saved dwarves look, and swears he's done it once but can't remember how. Is there actually a way? :L I've thought about it and I suppose it could be done, maybe, but I don't trust myself to meddle without setting something on fire.

~W

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:40:33 pm »

You can modify the way dwarves look by editing their creature file (colour tokens, cosmetic tissue layer modifications, etc). But as far as I am aware you can't edit a saved game/your fortress population.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:57:47 pm »

That isn't a bug at all. It is genetics.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:59:09 pm »

That isn't a bug at all. It is genetics.
Which isn't implemented yet. So I'd say it's a bug.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

I was sure genetics were implemented... Maybe there's just not much diversity in your civ.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

The problem is that with the current, very hostile world gen, your civilisation is prone to bottlenecking, so your civ members will often have a single ancestor within the last couple of centuries. You can mitigate this by declaring tissue layer descriptions per caste, rather than for every caste at once, like I do in the My Little Pony mod. This tends to at least cause my forts to have eight different varieties of hair and coat colour, and often at least half of them will have variety within that caste, which I think comes from not having an ancestor of that caste to copy from, so a new colour scheme is created. You can do this with dwarves by having duplicates, [FEMALE], [FEMALE_1], [FEMALE_2] and so on.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:13:59 pm »

Genetics are indeed implemented, but I'd still say the entire civilization being so startlingly similar is worthy of being classified as a mild bug or at least a feature that needs some tweaking to be all it could be--while I wouldn't expect a full-on accurate dominant/recessive genetics simulation in DF, a random element to genetic traits would be good enough for me.  While I do expect that families will have similarities, currently it's a bit... overly aggressive on selecting one set of colors and sticking to it forever. 
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.