Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages...  (Read 1052 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cages...
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:55:05 am »

I recently caught a good number of badgers...

Just  wondering, if I built a cage, then stuffed it with war badgers, would it make a nice "jack-in-the-box" for the perpetrator, with war badgers swarming it, or would all the animals in the cage die when the cage is destroyed?
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cages...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:35:46 am »

I don't think badgers are grazing animals so probably they won't starve, and it will be a very nice surprise for whoever opens the cage door.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:40:02 am »

AFAIK Creatures in cages are invincible until the cage is deconstructed, so if you have a reliable way to deconstruct it when enemies are near then it should work. Or the badgers may team up with the invaders and kill everyone
*Hugs*

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:45:55 am »

Would there be a reliable way to tame and train captured badgers?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:48:14 am »

I'm not sure if it works in play or only worldgen, but go to your region folder and change the [Pet_Exotic] tag in the Raws to [Pet]
Not sure if they can be trained. But even if it doesn't work, you should be able to just unleash wild badgers on your foes anyway
*Hugs*

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 07:01:12 am »

adding or changing [PET] will work after world gen.
To make them trainable add [TRAINABLE], [TRAINABLE_HUNTER] or [TRAINABLE_WAR]. The first one will make it available for war training and hunter training and the other two restrict it to just one.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:54 am »

Badgers lose a great deal of their destructive power once tamed, so don't expect massive results.  If you really want power though, go for giant badger.  A regular badger is smaller than your average dog.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:39:08 am »

Yeah, they are only really dangerous when they enrage, i made them trainable in a recent game but the results werent so impressive except with the giants (same with capybaras)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:03:15 am »

So basically build a cage full of untamed badgers and a pressure plate linked to the cage in a hallway, seal the hall off with doors, wait for goblins and *BAM*, they unleash the badgers.

Then apply magma.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:54:20 am »

The only problem is, badgers are well know for their good relationship with Goblins. It's a sad fact that they only hate dwarves and dwarves only. Tame/trained ones will still attack Goblins though

However, if you're introducing magma into the mix anyway, you can kill two birds with one stone (or in large sieges the best part of one hundred but you get the point).

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 04:11:22 pm »

Eh, I just got a few grizzly bears from the elves, I used them to kill the badgers then threw them into the cage, along with my extra war dogs.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

I'd give helmet snakes a shot. Expendable, since they lay eggs, and have the supreme joy of vicious poison.