Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video Recording for DF  (Read 729 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Video Recording for DF
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »

I've not messed with this before, but considering the massive newbie help that Captn Duck has provided in a few outdated videos, I'm considering making an LP for DF.  You might even hear my barbershop-quartet-turned-sex-change voice!  But, I know that DF has its own sort of video capture, and there's things like fraps, but I've not messed with any of them.  What would be best, easy to use, and free?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Video Recording for DF
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:35:54 pm »

I assume you're using Windows. I'm actually sceptical there IS a decent free recording software out there for it, most will at least put a giant watermark over everything, and if not, give horrible framerate. Might want to look at Camstudio, I've heard some good about that one...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »

I could take a series of screenshots, but that's less impressive...

Brambled

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:43:52 pm »

Just asking if you do go along with the LP please please include something of you building a pump stack.  I can't find any video on youtube containing that.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:45 pm »

DF has a built-in recorder. It's not fancy, but it works. Wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:CMV
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »

I'm not familiar how to use it.  How useful is it and can it be smoothly uploaded to Youtube, and/or edited to have an audio track put over it?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »

I'm not familiar how to use it.  How useful is it and can it be smoothly uploaded to Youtube, and/or edited to have an audio track put over it?

Not really, its playback is done within the game or through DFFD, it is a format specific to DF.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:30 am »

Not really, its playback is done within the game or through DFFD, it is a format specific to DF.

So, presumably entirely useless for what he wants to do, then.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."