Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best wood (in real life)  (Read 2555 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best wood (in real life)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 12:52:39 pm »

Mahogany is gorgeous. Too bad it's so expensive :(
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:42 pm »

Morning.

PalladiumDawn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

Larch and Cedar apparently have excellent weathering and water resistance; fine grained oak is not quite as resistant, but makes up for it with its structural stability.  The oils in Cedar also repel moths, making it an excellent wood to use in storage furniture.

As a previous poster noted, Wikipedia is your friend in regards to building a realistic fortress.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »

You might want to check out Uristocrat's "Density & Color Mod" which includes "real life" solid density values for I think all the stones in DF as well as the various wood types, as of the latest version.  That way you wouldn't have to *pretend* that the wood types are different, they really will be.  There are still plenty of different wood properties that wouldn't be modeled, but it's a start.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4005

--nomad_delta

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »

Morning.
This is morning wood blowgun.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:17 pm »

Larch and Cedar apparently have excellent weathering and water resistance; fine grained oak is not quite as resistant, but makes up for it with its structural stability.  The oils in Cedar also repel moths, making it an excellent wood to use in storage furniture.

As a previous poster noted, Wikipedia is your friend in regards to building a realistic fortress.
Cedar doesn't just repel moths.  I never saw a roach while I lived next to a stand of cedar trees.  Apparently roaches can't stand the smell of cedar.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 10:04:37 pm »

Morning.
This is morning wood blowgun.

In the interest of keeping this a semi-PG13 forum, I will resist the urge to take this to its logical conclusion :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 10:24:21 pm »

As for furniture and the such, oak and cedar are good. Cedar is especially nice, since it is one of the lightest woods in DF. Good for shields, I guess.
But heavy materials are good for bashing heads in.

Yes, I forgot about this, dwarves love to shield-bash. I'm always concerned about the weight of my dorf's gear, since heavy uniforms can slow them down so much. Not that it matters much with "danger rooms" and training spears in this version, though. 40d habits that die-hard.

I like larch, cedar, ash and oak. Not sure why I like larch, maybe because its fun to say? Cedar is grown where I am from and it smells good and insects hate it. Good stuff. Oak is strong and woodish. Ash because the name is short and its elastic and strong enough to make bows from.

Maybe poison oak would be a favorite that isn't in the game. I bet Elves in DF would be immune and would artificially plant the things around their... forest camps or tree-forts or whatever they have, to deter critters and improperly clothed intruders. Also, its actually a very pretty tree, the ominous name aside.

Also, is there still Galrump and Featherwood or whatever it was? The super-heavy "evil" tree and the super-lightweight "good" trees? Haven't noticed them.

Morning.

This was my first impulse for a reply, but then I remembered how embarrassing it can be to have morning wood around in the barracks. Doesn't smell as good as cedar, either.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 11:04:05 pm »

As for furniture and the such, oak and cedar are good. Cedar is especially nice, since it is one of the lightest woods in DF. Good for shields, I guess.
But heavy materials are good for bashing heads in.
You can either have

a) Heavy shield. It's like duel wielding weapons! One axe, one mace.
b)light shield. Nothing can touch you! If your shield fails, you can dodge.

I prefer b, as you can only use one attack at a time in DF.

On heavy shields, I've got many shields with multiple kills. I even had two champions who were primary shield-users, and racked up 24 kills on one and 41 kills on the other. I'd say that heavy wood can be quite justified for shield use.

Plus, imagine the coolness of an evil, glumprong wood shield
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]