Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragonlance (Krynn) Mod  (Read 1228 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Dragonlance (Krynn) Mod
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:09:23 am »

You can download here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4485

This mod adds races and elements from Krynn the world of the Dragonlance novels.

Races:
Minotaurs
Ogres
Kender
Gully Dwarves
Elves
Humans
Gnomes
Draconians
Dwarves (of course)

Most races have access to steel. Ogres and draconians enrage while minotaurs can go into martial trances.

Castes added
Choosen of Reorx: Religeous caste, bonuses to alchemy, healthcare, and hammer
Warrior: Bonuses to all military skills
Civilian: Pretty much your standard dwarf
High Dwarf: Master crafters and administrators.

Religeous system: Set up like a tech tree. You sacrifice precious metals and gems (platinum and aluminum) to get blessed steel which is significantly better than steel (and you'll need it the opposing races are tough).

10 different types of dragons.

Noble system is much more complex. One of the things I dislike about original DF is the lack of any sort of depth to the noble system. I tried to give the sytem a bit more depth by setting it up sort of like a tech tree. You start out with the basic (except the doctor) and each tier gives you acess to more and more. Additionally only certain castes can be placed in each position. As a rule, the admin nobles are high dwarves, the religeous nobles are choosen of reorx, and the military are... warriors.

Next version will have wizards.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:01:21 am by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonlance (Krynn) Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »

So, I've been testing this and so far everything is working fine except a few minor bugs which I've sorted.

There is one bug though I can't figure out how to remedy. The kender civ doesn't use hoopaks when they send theives.

Is there a way to get them to use them? Currently, they only have the hoopak in their entity file, so no other weapons what so ever. The result though was that they showed up with no weapons and strangely no bag.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 06:37:49 pm »

I think thieves are hard coded to use only weapons that use knife user skill.  That could be the reason, but I haven't seen the raw files themselves to check.

Don't recall anyone ever doing a Krynn mod.  Looks like it could be interesting, especially fighting certain castes of Draconian.  Though I'm sure a couple of those on death abilities like the turn to stone thing aren't possible in DF, the explode on death one might be doable and incredibly dangerous.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:25:01 am »

I think thieves are hard coded to use only weapons that use knife user skill.  That could be the reason, but I haven't seen the raw files themselves to check.

Don't recall anyone ever doing a Krynn mod.  Looks like it could be interesting, especially fighting certain castes of Draconian.  Though I'm sure a couple of those on death abilities like the turn to stone thing aren't possible in DF, the explode on death one might be doable and incredibly dangerous.

bronze collsi turn to statues on death and nightwings turn into rocks, why isn't turn to stone on death possible?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:38:06 am »

bronze collsi turn to statues on death and nightwings turn into rocks, why isn't turn to stone on death possible?

The statue on death is possible. This is the first release I am currently working on castes for draconians. Right now they are all one caste but they have flier. This shouldnt be the case. Only the silvaks flied. The draconian castes and how to handle the wizards are both a bit difficult i'll have to find a work around.

Ah if daggers are hardcoded thats easy i'll just change the skill on the hoopak to knife user.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 07:02:36 am »

It is, although not the "sword gets stuck" part. Just have them turn into granite or gabbro statues. If you are willing to do some material modding, you can even make dead draconians explode!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »

Alright so I'm working on the next update. I am trying to make play more dynamic to reflect the changing political situation on krynn. I am finding it difficult though because if a civ is not at war with your civ they only send caravans and it is near impossible to get them mad enough at you to make them siege you. If anyone downloaded my initial upload you may have noticed I added item thief to the entities I wanted more hostile. However, I want it to be more than good guys vs bad guys. I think I might solve this by making each race more unique in their ethics/religeous spheres. Some races will still be hostile or at least pains (ogres, gobos, draconians, and kender) but I want minotaurs, humans, and elves to be on uneasy terms with dwarves with gnomes just not caring whichever way.

These are the things I'm working on for next release (some of which I am fairly far along on);

1. Wizards as castes for all relevant races (this one is a bit difficult as I don't want wizards to show up on the map wearing plate).
2. Complete noble system for elves, humans, minotaurs, and gnomes to make them playable.
3. Wandering barbarian and kagonesti tribes that will harrass your fortress.
4. Something more dynamic for dragons, right now they are all just megabeasts that will attack your fort. Instead I want them to be good or evil depending on race (and attack you depending on which race you are playing).
5. Castes for draconians (with at least a facimile of their on death attacks) and castes for gobos and ogres to add hobgoblins and ogremagi respectively.
6. Revamp of the dwarven castes and noble system. I wasn't too happy with either while playing through it, the noble system was too restrictive (I think I went a bit overboard) and the caste system seemed a bit rediculous instead of meaningful.
7. Gnomish, slightly self defeating tech.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »

Alright so I'm working on the next update. I am trying to make play more dynamic to reflect the changing political situation on krynn. I am finding it difficult though because if a civ is not at war with your civ they only send caravans and it is near impossible to get them mad enough at you to make them siege you. If anyone downloaded my initial upload you may have noticed I added item thief to the entities I wanted more hostile. However, I want it to be more than good guys vs bad guys. I think I might solve this by making each race more unique in their ethics/religeous spheres. Some races will still be hostile or at least pains (ogres, gobos, draconians, and kender) but I want minotaurs, humans, and elves to be on uneasy terms with dwarves with gnomes just not caring whichever way.

These are the things I'm working on for next release (some of which I am fairly far along on);

1. Wizards as castes for all relevant races (this one is a bit difficult as I don't want wizards to show up on the map wearing plate).
2. Complete noble system for elves, humans, minotaurs, and gnomes to make them playable.
3. Wandering barbarian and kagonesti tribes that will harrass your fortress.
4. Something more dynamic for dragons, right now they are all just megabeasts that will attack your fort. Instead I want them to be good or evil depending on race (and attack you depending on which race you are playing).
5. Castes for draconians (with at least a facimile of their on death attacks) and castes for gobos and ogres to add hobgoblins and ogremagi respectively.
6. Revamp of the dwarven castes and noble system. I wasn't too happy with either while playing through it, the noble system was too restrictive (I think I went a bit overboard) and the caste system seemed a bit rediculous instead of meaningful.
7. Gnomish, slightly self defeating tech.
Well, if you took yout [EQUIPS] for mages...no, then they wouldn't have robes or staves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.