Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Cast and Wrought Iron Material Raws Needed, and more!  (Read 449 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile

I am attempting to rework the iron industry for my mod. I seek to replace the generic iron with cast iron and wrought iron, replace generic steel with crucible and wootz styled steel (named steel and fine steel respectively), move ironworking reactions from the smelter to a new bloomery building, require said bloomery to use bricks and an anvil in construction, and move steelmaking reactions to a crucible building that consumes earthenware crucibles. I am not, however, very certain what is what in the raw files after the big materials update.

So to start, I'll need to fill out the new metals. Cast iron, wrought iron, primitive steel and wootz steel all need raw enteries. Have any other mods already covered this ground? If not, are the existing values in urists or some real-world figure?

I've searched the forums for this and found so many conflicting or partial answers I decided to bring human intelligence into the search. So if you recall a mod you've played with or conversations on the subject, now's a good time to put your memory to use.

And for those wondering, my final product will be ironworking that requires quite a bit more work than present. Various ores will go into the bloomery to create blooms. Another product of the bloomery will be cast iron, which my reading suggests was something of a waste product European metalworkers avoided creating rather than didn't actually know how to create. With hematite ore a small amount of hard steel will also be produced, similarly based on my reading.  The blooms will produce wrought iron when run back through the anvil-equipped bloomery in a second job, which will use the blacksmithing labor. Said wrought iron can be forged into weapons and armor or put through a furnace, where wrought iron, charcoal and flux create hard steel while cast iron, wrought iron and flux create fine steel. In the end, fine steel will have the best weapon characteristics while hard steel will be best for armor and also be required for anvils. Wrought iron will be good for general tools and basic armor, and cast iron will be... well, there's always frying pans and statues to make.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Cast and Wrought Iron Material Raws Needed, and more!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:38 am »

I believe Genesis expanded the steel and ironworking industry massively, go check it out.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:25:32 am »

You can probably also get most of your workshops and material raws from Genesis.  It has a crucible already for steel production though youd need to try and make a crucible item that can be made and consumed.  It also has examples of differing iron/steel 'types' that you could pick through for values.

Existing values for materials are a little arbitrarily scaled/tweaked, they work best when considered relative to each other rather than trying to convert realworld values.  If you are specifically looking to make one metal type better for armor and another for weapons, take a look at the material sections of the wiki to determine the right value balance.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

the advanced steel making is also in the corrosion mod.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:33:06 am »

A precursory glance suggests neither one is what I'm looking for, although I'll have to dig through the raws to see if they have useful materials. None of them seem to expressly suggest they are based on real figures, however. I think I read somewhere that DF materials used kilopascals? And what precisely does MAX_EDGE imply?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:46:02 pm »

Max edge is the highest a weapon made of that particular material can get. A no quality sword made of steel will not actually have the maximum value for max edge, a masterwork will be quite near the max, and an artifact will either be the max max edge, or incredbly close.

In game it just determines how much damage it does on cutting.