Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor mishaps  (Read 1551 times)

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor mishaps
« on: June 24, 2011, 04:37:44 am »

I started an adventurer, putting all points into ambusher (for the lulz, mostly) and then, for added lulz, modified a few reactions, knapped a few thousand armor pieces out of thin air, and got meself a bunch of masterwork adamantine armor, but for some reason, iron bolts kept going through my armor like it wasn't even there. So, the question is, was this a problem with a lack of armor skills, problem with the armor I made, or something else entirely.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Armor mishaps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 05:08:52 am »

Hard plate don't covers everything, you'll need robes, cloak and hoods to cover the rest of everything. And well, crossbow bolts does kills everything, eventually  :D

ed: Forget to mention, get a shield, copper's best if you're bashing with it. And train your shield use up a lot, it'll deflect better than body armor can hold up.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:10:24 am by AutomataKittay »

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:43:04 am »

Helms don't completely cover your face, you need to get an Iron Mask for that. Unforutnately, Iron Masks rarely appear on goblins, and only on super rare occasions on humans. I always mod my goblins to all wear masks because I think they're cool.

You also absolutely want chainmail under your breastplate, as that covers your neck and arms. Breastplates don't cover your arms or neck. Hence the name BREAST plate. As in, covers the breast.

What this game really needs is some sort of indication in the inventory screen of what armor/clothing item covers what. It would make it much, much more newb friendly.

Armor Raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The section to note are the [LBSTEP] and [UBSTEP] tags. LB means it covers a body part down, so you would get, I believe, the Upper arms and Upper Legs with this. UB means it goes up one, which gets your throat area. If you want your breastplates to protect both, change those both to one in the raws.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:51:37 am by Sir Iryn »
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:13:41 pm »

I had an adamantine robe under the breastplate, they're supposed to have max UBSTEP and LBSTEP. But it still don't make sense that iron bolts would literally go through the armor. And it wasn't bash either, I've gotten embeds through, among other things I don't remember, the high boots, greaves, and robe. The robe I could see, but the greaves???

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:00:42 pm »

Also, since you are creating them through hacked reactions, they may not be made out of any material, thus no protective value.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »

Also, since you are creating them through hacked reactions, they may not be made out of any material, thus no protective value.
Ah, I was thinking that may be the case. Would there be any way to stop that from happening?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:11:16 pm »

Ah, I was thinking that may be the case. Would there be any way to stop that from happening?

If I had to take a guess, change the material token for the product of the reaction.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:17 pm »

If I had to take a guess, change the material token for the product of the reaction.
So, unfortunately, the wiki wasn't helping out. This isn't the exact raws used, but it's as close as it gets, since, due to a slight mishap, I have to keep editing the "Make sharp rock" rxn.

What's wrong with it??

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »

You might try changing the [INORGANIC:ADAMANTINE] to [METAL:ADAMANTINE]. Dunno if that's the issue, but it works just as well with item creation and I rarely had problems with stuff piercing my magical suit of armor.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]