Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The incredible Wereslug  (Read 942 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
The incredible Wereslug
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:22:10 pm »

I was thinking about the werecreatures, and it seemed that they generally go berserk and kill a few people, then turn back and are slaughtered by the angry citizens. THere are some versions of the myth where they can transform at will, but as toady said, there is a fine line between weretransformation and shapeshifting. So, i was thinking of a way for the werebeast to be unleashed in battle so that you would not have to wait till the end of the month to have your period. I was running over things like, after a certain amount of kills, you are transformed irrevocably into a werecreature. Or, right after a fatal wound you would transform into your other form. THen, it hit me, what if a human (or elf/dwarf/whatever) cursed to be a were slug kills five people then is being beat down by the angry citizens becomes enraged during battle (which usually happens when you are bout to die) he/she would transform back into his wereform to make good his escape.

Basically, the moon shouldn't be the only thing affecting were transformations, and rage which is already in the game would be a good way to give werecreaturedom some good, while limiting the supernatural powers.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
Re: The incredible Wereslug
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 01:19:14 pm »

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

seems reasonable. It would also make any of your own dwarves who are infected a lot more dangerous if they ever tantrum or get wounded in battle. If most were creatures are getting killed once they turn back, perhaps make it impossible to turn back once in combat? So you could fight and transfor into a were creature, but only change back afterwards?
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:11 pm »

it seems like the npc werecreatures are turning, then running towards the nearest settlement and killing two or three people before turning back and being clobbered. Toady mentioned werewolves only changing on the next cycle, so you would have to have been a werewolf once, before doing the enraged thing, but it would add a lot more fun and FUN to the game. (at least, i think so)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:01:04 am »

Nah, thats exactly the sort of gamey thing Toady doesn't want to happen.

He brings up coding in [unique_body_parts] so that wounds, missing limbs, syndromes, ect transfer in a more detailed transformation.

Basically the system is made so that giants shrink down to become weremaggots and infected moosemen can turn into weremooses once a month.

I think its better to focus for the vampire flourishes where you can turn into a giant bat or whatever to escape the murderous crowd of citizens you might have provoked by accidentally eating one or more of them. Doesn't require a 6 month rework of celestial cycles this way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:04:12 am »

Unfortunately fixing Werecreatures to become... well... proper werecreatures would take up to two whole months.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 06:01:19 am »

I don't know, I kinda like werewolves being rather like suicide bombers. The whole werewolf mystery thing is extremely tired by now and the person in question not figuring it out and just committing suicide strains suspension of disbelief. A beast that only exists to murder and whose attacks cannot be predicted or stopped is pretty refreshing of a take. I like the ferocity of it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:05:59 am by Pilsu »