Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bones. Ugh.  (Read 2976 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: Bones. Ugh.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 10:38:28 am »

Soap, Make it, Build a fort from it.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ferok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 11:35:42 am »

Soap, Make it, Build a fort from it.

If I build my blood-prone areas from constructed soap, will they stay clean? 

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 11:51:12 am »

Don't think so.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 04:18:34 pm »

Don't think so.
But cleaning it sure would be easier.  Just Add Water*! ;)

* soap maker not responsible for over-cleaning via substitution of water with magma.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 06:40:17 pm »

soap maker not responsible blah blah

What? They're ALWAYS responsible if something bad happened...it's not like I'm going to punish my legendary armorsmith or something ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:29 pm »

Hmm, I found bones to be ONLY useful for making bolts. They're the only ammunition I've ever given my marksdwarves, and they've taken out plenty of gobbos and other baddies. Well, maybe not taken out, but incapacitated (fatally) which is good enough for me!

Though I must admit, I've only used a real marksdwarf squad once, in my current session. And I've only had two sieges...

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »

Hmm, I found bones to be ONLY useful for making bolts. They're the only ammunition I've ever given my marksdwarves, and they've taken out plenty of gobbos and other baddies. Well, maybe not taken out, but incapacitated (fatally) which is good enough for me!

Though I must admit, I've only used a real marksdwarf squad once, in my current session. And I've only had two sieges...
Sounds like you might want to give them some metal bolts to meet the increasing threat. Or just capture whole sieges in cage traps, release them on a 1-tile platform above a 10 z-level drop, and let an untrained recruit shoot bone bolts at them.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:43 pm »

soap maker not responsible blah blah

What? They're ALWAYS responsible if something bad happened...it's not like I'm going to punish my legendary armorsmith or something ;)
Soapmakers do something useful- soap prevents infections, after all. Punish the fish dissectors. Lyemakers are safe too, need lye for soap.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »

They're incredibly expendable, with lye and soap lacking quality levels, and considering the amount of soap a fortress needs at any given time, production speed is pretty irrelevant.
Didn't soap have quality levels back in 40d, though? I remember it being a nice way to get value out of dragon fat and such.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:25 am »

No quality levels on soap, ever.  It's the material multiplier that made dragon soap better than kitten soap.  Or dragon tallow biscuits, back when tallow stayed in stacks.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3]