Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Almost 3 years now and no goblin attack  (Read 9606 times)

JerryvonKramer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Almost 3 years now and no goblin attack
« on: June 02, 2011, 02:35:40 pm »

What's going on?

Does this happen sometimes? I've taken away most of the ramp access to the base from on high, and built quite an extensive set of walls south and west of my dungeon entrance. To the south is a river cutting off access. I think the only way to enter the map is from the East.

Have I built the defences "too well"? I'm not complaining just don't really understand why I've not yet seen a SINGLE attack. Not even from a child catcher.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Almost 3 years now and no goblin attack
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »

Did you make your fortress on an island, or in an otherwise hard to reach place? Do you receive only Dwarven caravans?
If so, it means that they can't reach you.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:41:40 pm »

A few possibilities...
-No goblin civilization in your world
-Invaders are OFF
-You're at peace with the gobs (as unlikely as this sounds)
-You have no goblin neighbors (what previous poster said : also happens when your fortress is in a place surrounded by mountains or glaciers)
-You haven't enough wealth/people to attract goblins.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:43:32 pm by Naryar »

JerryvonKramer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

There are definitely goblins in this world because this is my second fortress on it. Invaders and definitely on.

I'll post some screen pics soon. But this is very weird, and never happened before.

I seem to get elven traders as well as dwarves.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:44:49 pm »

You might be out of the gobbos' reach.

JerryvonKramer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 03:27:25 pm »

Guys, how can I a) tell if there are goblins in my world and b) locate them if there are?

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:06:44 pm »

-You're at peace with the gobs (as unlikely as this sounds)

What are the criteria for being at peace with them, anyway?
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »

I've gone four years without any sign of goblins except the occasional snatcher, usually with caravans. I created a fair amount of wealth, but my fortress wasn't exactly rich. Population was about 40 or 50.
Then ambushes came from every side of my entrance, shortly followed by a siege. I was definitely not prepared.

I wouldn't say this situation is impossible under normal conditions, but somewhat unlikely. Make the most of it; if there are goblins, they'll likely come soon.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »

My current fortress is the same way..It going on the third year I think with over 100 dwarfs and quite a bit of wealth (though metal has been hard to get a hold of so not as much as it cold be...though weapons are hard to...)

I've seen kobald snatchers but no goblin ones.

What is weird is I know I am accessible, the humans come to me to trade. Also I'm not all that far from where another fortress I had was...and that fortress got massacred by an ambush 2/3 through its first year! (it was rather epic)

we'll see...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

My guess is that if you had checked the civ page of the embark screen goblins would have been listed at the bottom due to how far away the nearest goblin settlement is located.  Similar to how the exact time a caravan arrives is based on how far away the associated civ is located, the arrival of goblin thieves/sieges depends on how far said greenskins have to travel to get to your fort.

I have occasionally seen were one or two civs were missing from that list, so it is possibly you just won't get gobbos, similar to how you only see dwarves listed if you are embarking on an island and only get dwarven caravans.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:40:02 am »

My first siege was 3 years 2 months and 15 days after embark. I know that because I made an archival save :) Also there were no snatchers before that, and long after. I had first snatcher a couple of years after the first siege. So yes, it definitely happens in vanilla DF. Also I had four civs on embark screen, but never seen a single human.

To determine whether there are goblins - create archival save game and store it (together with all others from that world) outside of DF folder. Then abandon the fortress, and enter Legends mode. You can check what is there and how many is there.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:50:23 am »

If youve done a lot of landscaping and have a river you may have cut off a map edge.  Often a civilization will only have access to certain of your map edges.  Check if youve cut any off.

Export the world unit list or backup world, abandon and dive into legends.  Take a look at what goblins are about.  If you take the abandon route then check through reclaim that you have access to goblins before restoring your world.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

JerryvonKramer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 09:50:03 am »

Let me show you my base to see if it sheds any light on this. Otherwise I might restart:

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 12:32:49 pm »

Dude, I'm in the same boat. 4 years and no goblins. Then 8 kobolds came and were torn to pieces by my Legendary +5 Swordsdwarf.

And goblins are still in the world. Could it be... peace?

(ELVES! still coming... menacing spikes I think...)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »

To have goblins you need 50 population (for the ambush) and 80 pop + enough wealth for a siege.

1) Is your fort on an island?
2) Do you let your dorfs outside (is there a place in the map above ground where they never go?)
3) Is your population high enough?