Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Historic memorials, displays, preservatives  (Read 405 times)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Historic memorials, displays, preservatives
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:12:45 pm »

If any of my ideas have already been suggested before, feel free to promptly ignore them.

Historic memorials: When engraving a slab, have the additional option of engraving a memorial to a random historic event.  This will allow slabs to be engraved even if there aren't any notable dead figures in the fort.

Display:
-Furniture that can be assigned any item (usually crafts), increasing the value of the display by the item's value. 
-May be used to define a museum room. 
-Any perishable items like corpses must be properly preserved before being assigned to a display.

Preservatives:
-Items used to prevent perishable items (such as food) from natural rotting.  May alter the value of food depending on the preservative used.
-Some glazes count as a preservative.
-Inedible preservatives will make the product inedible. 
-Certain types of preservative can repel vermin.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Historic memorials, displays, preservatives
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »

I really like the idea of preservatives; right now, you can basically stockpile thousands of prepared meals in the open air in your food stockpile and have them remain edible for 40 years...needless to say, it doesn't work that way in real life.  This would make food management much more crucial even in mature fortresses; you'd want to avoid wasting food or producing too much at any given time or else it will go stale or rot rendering it inedible (perhaps stale items could still be eaten but they'd generate an unhappy thought).  Right now it's too easy to stockpile ridiculous amounts of valuable prepared meals in mature forts and this would pose a substantial challenge in the early game since the food you bring would start to go bad.

Possible preservation methods:

-Grinding rock salt in to salt stored in a bag for brining.
-Dwarven syrup/dwarven sugar (or surface sugar crops)
-Pickling (would require vinegar production from alcohol)
-Lye (lutefisk)
-Potting and jellying
-Fermentation (sauerkraut, kimchi, suan cai)

The upside as well is that it would make some currently marginal food products very useful as well as provide interesting diversity to dwarven cuisine.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:34:54 am »

Preservatives have been suggested before. See the "Food and Drink Megathread" for more info on that.

Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:47:36 am »

Dwarven sauerkraut!? I'm in! ;P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.