Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Profession-specific burrows/beds/rooms  (Read 544 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Profession-specific burrows/beds/rooms
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:48:35 pm »

Much like we have the ability to set a workshop to be usable only by dwarfs with the right skill levels, or how stockpiles allow you to move items to specific rooms based on specific criteria, would it not make sense to be able to assign dwarfs to different rooms by profession?  By default, everyone would maintain their current behavior, where they just sleep in the nearest free bed.

My reasoning for this is that if my magma forges are 50 to 150 z levels beneath everything else, short of assigning each furnace operator to a specific bed, it would make more sense to just sort it out by profession.  This would drastically reduce tedium IMO.

Thoughts?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Profession-specific burrows/beds/rooms
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »

This is a good idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:50 pm »

Just make a burrow encompassing all the areas your forge workers should have access to, give the relevant dwarves custom job titles, assign them all to it. It already implemented and handles almost all of your criteria (claiming unused beds, but you can just build apartments/ a dorm near the forges).
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:23:49 am »

Much like we have the ability to set a workshop to be usable only by dwarfs with the right skill levels, or how stockpiles allow you to move items to specific rooms based on specific criteria, would it not make sense to be able to assign dwarfs to different rooms by profession?

I like this but it would also be nice to set a burrow to be usable by dwarfs with the right skill level. Kind of workshop profiles for miners. Or don't go here unless you have dodge and wrestling training.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 11:34:58 am »

Just make a burrow encompassing all the areas your forge workers should have access to, give the relevant dwarves custom job titles, assign them all to it. It already implemented and handles almost all of your criteria (claiming unused beds, but you can just build apartments/ a dorm near the forges).
Sure, but then you'd have to make a burrow encompassing the whole of creation minus the forge area so other dwarfs don't claim the forge beds.

I like this but it would also be nice to set a burrow to be usable by dwarfs with the right skill level. Kind of workshop profiles for miners. Or don't go here unless you have dodge and wrestling training.
Definitely.  Like stockpiles, couldn't you set the burrow/room/building ownership based on a variety of criteria, ie gender, migration wave, skills, stats, kills, military status, etc etc.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:18:41 am »

Definitely.  Like stockpiles, couldn't you set the burrow/room/building ownership based on a variety of criteria, ie gender, migration wave, skills, stats, kills, military status, etc etc.

Yeah this would add all sorts of possibilities. Like having a crappy dining room for most of your dwarfs and a really legendary one that only legendary dwarfs are permitted to use. Or make your dwarfs live on the surface of a terrifying biome until they have at least five kills. Or segregated bath houses. Or sending all cowards down into the caverns to toughen up. Or you know, something useful if you're into that sort of thing.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.