Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gem Warfare! Now it's actually worth doing!  (Read 1368 times)

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:height]
    • View Profile
Gem Warfare! Now it's actually worth doing!
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »

A small mod that teaches your dwarfs how to transmute gems into different varieties of gemsteel. Why use all those zircons you've got lying around to decorate your wine barrels when you can use them to decorate your hallways with goblin blood?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4409

Blue Gemsteel is the weakest, but is lighter and sharper than copper. Blue Gemsteel takes two ornamental gems per bar, due to the low quality of the gems.

Red Gemsteel is the middle child, comparable to iron, but lighter and sharper (starting to see the pattern?). Red Gemsteel only needs one gem per bar created.

White Gemsteel is lighter and (guess what?) sharper than steel, and can only be refined from the rarest of gems. However, transmuting a single rough gem yields two bars worth of usable materials.

I want to do something similar with glass and ice, but I'm not sure how strong I want to make those. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

EDIT: Forgot the link!
EDIT AGAIN: Updated!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:45:00 pm by Garbles »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Warfare! Stab goblins with diamonds!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:05 pm »

another fun reaction idea for you - grind diamonds to a powder, then forge with a steel bar for diamond steel. It should be harder than steel, a little lighter, and hold an edge better. Reactions that combine more than one ingredient are more fun, i think.

How about ice bolts for the crossbows?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:22:44 pm by Reelyanoob »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Warfare! Stab goblins with diamonds!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:24:21 pm »

Like Reely said, use glass and ice for bolts. Make them very light, but shitty. Worse than copper.

So no glacial spam bolts for you!  :P

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Warfare! Now it's actually worth doing!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:48:39 pm »

UPDATE: Fixed it so the the gemsteel bars actually use the stats for gemsteel, instead of generic stone stats. I think. Didn't do arena testing, but my dwarfs were dropping red gemsteel weapons and armor for iron and copper. Or I broke it even more and didn't test properly. Fixed the fix.

Also added reactions to refine lower grades of gemsteel into higher ones, with decreasing returns. Three bars = 100% higher grade bar, 70% for an extra, 20% for yet another. These reactions require fuel. I only added this because I never seem to find any high grade gems to use.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:51:59 pm by Garbles »

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 02:59:32 pm »

For the reactions that require fuels is there a magma version of the workshop?

Garbles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:28:32 pm »

For the reactions that require fuels is there a magma version of the workshop?
There is not. Magma is too hot, and would boil the gemsteel away, so much care must be taken to not overheat it. (Or, it was faster than requiring a bar of coke for the reaction)