Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lonely dorf...  (Read 1315 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lonely dorf...
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:31:52 pm »

I am currently adventuring with a somewhat ragtag team of adventurers, mostly poorly equipped humans from a dozen different nations, a goblin that let me talk to it, and a couple smelly hippies for long range support. I know, we have all the makings of exactly what every RPG says will eventually save the world.

What we are missing though, are a few burly, hairy, belligerent and mostly drunken dwarves. It sucks being the only one... especially with all my gear being copper, and some bronze I scavenged from a lair. I tried going to the fortresses in the mountains to find my people, but they all seem to be massively deep underground. I hear stories of the dwarves killing hydras an minotaurs from the local humans, but can't seem to find any entrances. How do you get down to the mountain homes? Is there something on the map you can use to see where one of the fable tunnels to the surface are? Maybe some way to dig down to them? I really need some help on this one.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:45:36 pm by Duntada Man »
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Lonely dorf...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:50 pm »

i have encountered the same problem. Whereas i would never stoop to the dwarven race, i have always wanted to clean out a fortress of the vermin. but they are always way in the mountains and i don't have the patience to look. I have also had problems finding elves in the forests, although i am using 31.18 and not the most recent version.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:53 pm »

Mountain Halls won't show up in game yet. The sites exist in the history and as world gen concepts, but they don't have a physical adventure mode existence.

If you want Dwarven settlements you can mod the raws to change their settlement type from mountain halls to human-style towns.

Alter the entity_default.txt so that dwarves have CITY for the DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE entry. Change START_BIOME to something broad like ANY_GRASSLAND so that the towns appear in-game, because settlements of any kind won't show up properly in mountains in adventure mode. Also alter the values of BIOME_SUPPORT so that they settle on ANY_GRASSLAND (or similarly broad category).

Some references from the wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Entity
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Biome_token

zair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:07 pm »

alternatively you could just retire, make an easy to find fort, retire it, and the un retire and hire your old fort dwarfs. or if you want just one or two more dwarfs make dwarf adventurers and retire them and hire them as subordinates to your main adventurer.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:17:36 pm »

As stated, you could just make some yourself by making several new Dorf adventurers  and even customize them a little with better equips and stat wise so they won't be as good as your main one but tough enough for longer adventures.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:13:34 am »

I was once ambushed by a group of Dwarves near where their Mountainhome was supposed to be. They were friendly so I could have gotten some to come with me. I don't know if something specific set it off or if it was just random but you can try just wandering near the mountains.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:55 am »

on that note, how do you find elves? i can't find any in their 'forest retreats'. their bloody empty!

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:10:21 am »

Or goblins. Every time I go to a goblin fortress, there is no building there.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29:13 am »

You can't find hippies, gobbos, or dorfs anywhere unless you make them live in cities.
You can only find Humans and possibly Kobolds in caves.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 06:09:06 am »

FUCK!!!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 06:22:45 am »

There is a chance they will be integrated into human civs though. I have a human fortress that only houses an elf lord and about 80 elf soldiers.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?