Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Lolumbom, Woodhome - Surface Fort  (Read 10577 times)

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lolumbom, Woodhome - Surface Fort
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:44 am »

Sorry for the shorter chapter today. I've been busy and my battery died while I was playing. Actually, it's a good thing the battery died, because I was in the middle of another war with the badgers, the broker died, and 'I' lost my left upper arm. :)
Also, sorry for no pictures. The only interesting pictures were of the combat which by a fluctuation in the dwarven space time continuum didn't happen.

Chapter 3

20th Limestone
We got two migrants today. Both have been assigned wood hauling jobs.
We've also put the roof on hold. It's taking too much time and resources, and it does us no good. Instead, we're taking the roof as it stand now and fortifying it. Unfortunately, I designed this place to encompass the largest possible area, which put it directly adjacent to two plateaus, from which enemies and wildlife can invade. These have already been walled off. However, I would rather use the western plateau as a fortified entrance, and wall of the lower level. I haven't worked out all of the details yet, put the plans are being made!

21st Sandstone
So our livestock population got away from us again. So we're slaughtering en masse...again. This time though, we're slaughtering at ONE shop, so we don't produce more bones than our carver can keep up with. There's a problem though... Basically, my conversation with Shade II went like this:

"Hey Shade II! Taco just killed a couple of kittens. Could you go carve their skulls into pretty things?"
"Sure, no problem boss. Where are these skulls you're talking 'bout?"
"...In the butcher's shop."
"Woah, woah...dude. That's gross. That's unsanitary! I am NOT digging through the mutilated carcasses and scattered organs of dead kittens for my bones. I need clean materials."
"Wait, what...? Why?"
"Well do YOU want a bone mug covered in blood and smelling like kitten tripe?"
"Well actually, ye-"
"You just put down a stockpile for those bones, clean them, arrange them neatly by type, you know, the usual, and I'll get right to work."
"Well...okay then. The bone stockpile's right between the butcher's and your shop then. Now go dig out those bones, clean them, polish them, whatever else you need to do and GET TO WORK!"
"Dude...that butcher's shop isn't underground..."
"...I know that...This IS a surface fort, you know? That's why we were exiled?"
"Yeah, but...if it's not underground, that refuse'll never generate miasma."
"Wha..."
"Why would I bother cleaning up that slaughter house if it's never going to stink?"
"...You mean you're absolutely not going to retrieve those bones ever?"
"Not unless you deconstruct the butcher's shop and build it on top of the old one, no."
"FUUU-"
"Hey, don't get so upset. We're dwarves, aren't we?" (OOC: The problem may actually have been something else, detailed below. But this was funny so I kept it.)

23rd Sandstone
Damn, more kittens. Maybe the solution is more carvers? We could certainly make up for quality with quantity...
In other news...Slax is freakin' ecstatic! Hooray!

8th Timber
Shade II lied to me...neither he, nor either of the other two dwarves I pleaded with will retrieve the bones from the butcher's shops. Jerks.
Hm...I'm walking around amidst the bones and realizing...all of our bones are skulls. Now, Shade II didn't raise THAT objection during our conversation, but, well....
However...the unicorns are back. And I'm getting a very bad idea...

In other news, we are resizing our perimeter, making it smaller, and square. Right now  we're just removing the useless bits of roof, later we'll build new walls and destroy the old ones. We're also building walls and doors around the ramps leading to our roof.

17th Timber
Another caravan. Oh boy...this'll be tough. Probably gonna have to trade with food this time, we only got a few trinkets left. Well, Armok knows we can't eat all these kitty burgers anyhow...

Okay, never mind. We have plenty of trinkets, and I'm quite positive I now know why our bone carvers haven't been working. We just have to let our animals grow up before we kill them. :-/
They never told me they couldn't work skulls--I can't see why not. And apparently the other bones are just too small. So we're gonna let our next batch of kittens grow up. It's a pity for the last generation, though. They nearly made it...*laughs maniacally then looks around nervously clears throat and goes to get a drink*

22nd Timber
Doesn't seem they brought enough stone. Pity. Should be enough to build a smith's and kiln, though. They also brought metal, which is nice, and lots of fish. We could use a change to our diet.

Hm...and they have raw green glass...last time they were here they wanted windows. Now, we traded for their sand, but never used it. Maybe if we're fast, we could take this glass, build a shop, make windows, and trade it back to them!

We've also traded for their ridiculously cheap wood. No seriously. It's so cheap we decided to buy it rather than just cut it down. We got ten logs for like two earrings. :-/

Iron pick...steel pick...we can't dig with them, but...as weapons... No? Nope. Traders have firm instruction from the mountain home: we may NOT have picks of any kind, for any reason. Well they suck. However, there's a steel short sword here, and ~$800 doesn't actually look too bad right now...ah. We can't afford it. We've recieved some armor though, helms of iron and bronze.

Got some thread. Maybe now our doctor can finally fix our bedridden wood cutter.

--

If I left the name Melbil anywhere: that's you, Shade.

Okay, here's some pictures
roof:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

floor (I resized it to be easier to see stuff):

Hey, does anyone know why picasa darkens the colors of my pictures when I crop them?

Also, I saw someone somewhere say they were going to try a surface fort. A word of advice for anyone considering it: Don't do what I did. The super huge perimeter surrounding a courtyard is not a good idea, it takes forever to build, and it's hard to defend. Build like a human, small buildings, maybe a joining wall when you run out of stuff to build.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:29 am »

oh, nearly forgetting, with skulls, you can make Totems.
i should have told you this before, right?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »

Well, I know that now anyways after reading the wiki page to confirm my suspicions. Wait...I've got like 40 skulls lying around. 8D

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:21 pm »

Might want to check the refuse orders. Default for the game is to ignore anything labeled as 'refuse' that is outside.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »

Oh so THAT's what that's for. I feel dumb now.  :P
Oh, one last thing: Yeah, I still haven't started using clay. Seems the only suitable clay gathering spot is on the other side of the map, and for a while nobody wanted to get any. Now I'm resizing the walls, so I'll have plenty of wood (from the old walls) anyways. :/

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2011, 10:17:35 am »

I recently switched linux distros (from Arch to Fedora) and now I can't get DF to work. :(
I still have the file and all, but...is anyone here running DF on Fedora? I'll keep trying shtuff.

Update: Fixed. Yay! :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:52:34 pm by Ganondwarf »

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »

'Nother short chapter--still busy with stuff. Next one should be longer, and hopefully more interesting.

Chapter 4

8th Moonstone
Once again we find ourselves at war with the badgers. I worry they will never learn to fear us, yet still we must avenge the death of our brethren...and loyal pets. The militia will be much smaller this time, just myself and our wood cutters Kadol and Olin, with their four dogs. I also notice our fallen comrade Inod still holds the allegiance of his dog, who will not fight with us. I'm afraid I must have it slaughtered, as soon as the fighting ends.

13th Moonstone
Darn. The badgers got away while we were arming up. Well, we might as well finish Inod's ghost while we're armed. Maybe then we won't need to slaughter his animal.
Armok's beard, Dumat, I am NOT conducting a meeting right now, I'm killing a ghost and saving the fortress!

17th Moonstone
Okay, we can't figure out how to kill a ghost anyways, so...yeah. Kadol's unhappy about losing his dog anyways, so we're just gonna go back inside now...well, they will. I will once Dumat STOP'S F-ING TALKING!

20th Moonstone
Just got back in and...there's blood everywhere. Using what I remember from my course in Forensics I've identified the blood as belonging to Inod...
Well, it's not bothering anyone, so no big deal.

27th Moonstone
Inod's ghost just came by, told he was done haunting the fortress now. I didn't get time to ask him why, but I later found out his body had finally been buried. It's funny, I don't even remember giving that order. Guess someone decided to take it into their own hands. :-/ (OOC: Seriously, I thought I'd removed his coffin. Guess not.)

13th Opal
Raccoons are bothering us now, so we're gonna kill them. Kadol's gotten very unhappy though, so I've taken him out of the militia and replaced him with Slax.
Oh for FRICK'S SAKE. Yes, there's a raccoon there. Yes, by your axe. So KICK the damn thing out of the way, PICK UP YOUR AXE AND CUT OFF IT'S HEAD!!!

17th Opal
Ugh, what a headache...again. I figured we could deconstruct the roof faster if we just removed the supports attached to the wall.
Well I was right. But I wasn't counting on some bonehead standing ON THE ROOF WHILE HE DETACHED IT. And I wasn't counting on that bonehead being our EXPERT BONE CARVER. >8(

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:38 pm »

So...I went and got myself addicted to minecraft. And at any rate, I don't know if anyone is still reading this. So if I get some response, I'll post chapter 5 on wednesday. I know not much has happened recently, but hopefully I'll start getting sieges soon. If need be I'll just infuriate the merchants and kill the liason, stuff like that...hm, that's a good idea.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2011, 01:35:30 am »

So...I went and got myself addicted to minecraft. And at any rate, I don't know if anyone is still reading this. So if I get some response, I'll post chapter 5 on wednesday. I know not much has happened recently, but hopefully I'll start getting sieges soon. If need be I'll just infuriate the merchants and kill the liason, stuff like that...hm, that's a good idea.

minecraft is dwarf fortress for elves.
like terraria is elven minecraft.
strangely though i passed through minecraft->to DF. and now i stopped playing minecraft.
Df is funnier. >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:25 am »

i still watch. but minecraft will slowdown, and you'll be back. They always come back.
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:20 am »

i still watch. but minecraft will slowdown, and you'll be back. They always come back.
you should also add... and they never leave again...cuz they get magmaed! and then obsidianized! and then used to make a short sword!

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 08:49:20 am »

Sorry guys, looks like I'm on hiatus with minecraft. I can only afford to be addicted to one game at a time. :(
I'll be back...sometime. Don't really know when.  :-\
Well....bye?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 08:52:31 am »

Sorry guys, looks like I'm on hiatus with minecraft. I can only afford to be addicted to one game at a time. :(
Well....bye?

GET BACK HERE TRAITOR!
I am a Goober.

elitetaco3519

• Bay Watcher
  • The savior of Orzammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 09:11:25 am »

Well....bye?

GET BACK HERE TRAITOR!
*Throws spear with rope* GET OVER HERE!
"...my word is poontang." Full Metal Jacket

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, 09:43:18 am »

Lol. Can't catch me! :P
Look, I'm sorry, but I don't have the time for two games. If it makes you feel better I expect to be done with it in about two weeks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]