Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making friends with the goblins  (Read 1066 times)

DrSazar

• Bay Watcher
  • He is in a constant state of internal rage.
    • View Profile
Making friends with the goblins
« on: May 29, 2011, 04:29:11 pm »

Is it possible to be friendly enough to trade with the goblins without any mods?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Making friends with the goblins
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »

You're at war by default, not because of anything during worldgen.

I'm not sure if there's any way to change who they are hostile with in the raws, but I've never bothered to try. I love me some goblinite. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »

You're at war by default, not because of anything during worldgen.

I'm not sure if there's any way to change who they are hostile with in the raws, but I've never bothered to try. I love me some goblinite. :D

Not really sure if that's the case ,however from how I understand it (though not had it ocurr yet though) you could be at war with one civ while at peace with another, including the gobbos! This should normally be happening during world gen. Gotta take a look and see what might happen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »

If you set the relative ethics to be more similar in the raws (specifically by removing the babysnatcher tag from goblins or adding it to dwarves), you should be able to have peaceful goblin civs, which will send merchants in winter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:16 am »

If you set the relative ethics to be more similar in the raws (specifically by removing the babysnatcher tag from goblins or adding it to dwarves), you should be able to have peaceful goblin civs, which will send merchants in winter.

So they would trade things which they bring for free under normal circumstances?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 01:29:00 am »

So they would trade things which they bring for free under normal circumstances?

You can rob humans and elves for "free" as well....
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:34 am »

It's possible for friendly goblin, at least in 40d, to exist without mods. I've found it to be fairly rare, though. I don't known if it happens in any of 2010 versions without mods. They makes for fair trading partner, if I recalls right, around par with human, and plenty of meats.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:08:24 am »

What you usually have from goblins is actually "peace". it is denoted by red ----- against "goblins" in embark. It's not war, it just means goblins are freaks and they will attacks you and steal from you even while in peace. I can confirm having goblin caravan once in winter although they had sent snatchers and ambushes before and after it.
They bring crap to sell though, no real reason unless they live in evil area.
 When you are at war, it says WAR in red capital letters in embark and their attacks will come much sooner and ferociously.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

I have yet to see a friendly goblin caravan but I have heard that all they have is food anyway. If I ever see a friendly goblin caravan I'll probably just kill them all.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:54:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the tag that forces hostility isn't anything to do with ethics, but rather is caused by the BABYSNATCHER tag.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod