Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roc arrives, spontaneous combustion. Related?  (Read 1094 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Roc arrives, spontaneous combustion. Related?
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:26:54 pm »

This is my first roc in fortress mode, so I don't know if this is normal, but is he supposed to start a fire half a map away on the refuse stockpile (and next to the entry to my fort)? I have a save just seconds before the fire starts, one tick after roc appears. There's nothing burning here. After unpausing the game the fire starts. Why is that? Never heard about such abilities.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Roc arrives, spontaneous combustion. Related?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »

What temperature biome are you playing in?

There are also some types of vermin that can start fires. So if you tapped a magma pipe or volcano that might be it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:54:55 pm by Acperience »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »

What temperature biome are you playing in?

Temperature is warm. Tropical dry broad-leaf forest. It rains quite often, but not this time.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »

Maybe it's a phoenix  :P

Hurr durr, very funny. Oh well.

Maybe it is another animal. Also, I've never seen fire snakes/fire imps/fire men starting wildfires like that. Generally most magma dwelling creatures do not go out in the open.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 01:07:28 pm »

Maybe it is another animal. Also, I've never seen fire snakes/fire imps/fire men starting wildfires like that. Generally most magma dwelling creatures do not go out in the open.

I've had fire snakes ignite a barrel of liquor before. But was near an open pit of magma where I was about to build a magma forge over.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:13:17 pm »

In that tileset I use it surely looks like a phoenix. But I'm keeping reloading that save and see nothing here. While I have three dragons they are unrelated to this problem - one sits on an egg deep underground, one walks the main staircase, and one is pastured in my testing chamber, ready to be flooded.  And the fire starts outside. Maybe the game messes with temperature calculations. Probably I should upload the file for check or something.

Before the game crashed (as it uses to do when zooming out) one of my elephants was defeated, and then consumed by raging inferno, but the roc was also injured, unconscious, and another elephants was assessing hardness of its skull. But it messed with my defenses, I had to quickly build walls in my entry hall (I have no gates, never expecting fire) and to flood area, while my animals and dwarves were running through fire for no reason. Or maybe that civilian alert was reason. It was !!Fun!! for sure. But why?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

Damn, the game always crashes when prolonging the fight, especially when looking near the roc. I had to extinguish fire using dfhack to prevent it (hopefully, will see). I have also uploaded it, so maybe the cause for this could be found:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4456

Both of the items which seem to start the fire are parts of trolls killed by my dragon. But they were submerged in water before dwarves brought them to the stockpile.

My dwarves shot the bird out of the sky and then pierced its brain with a spear. Good riddance.

EDIT: It seems extinguishing fire doesn't help. It always crashes after a while. I will need to revert to a previous save :(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 03:38:30 pm by Saiko Kila »

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »

This is probably the 'goblin blood bug'.  Disable truetype fonts and you wont suffer.  It seems to occur when theres a bloodstain with a really long name...probably a missing texture

alternatively keep the truetypes and run DFclean regularly
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 12:15:30 pm »

This is probably the 'goblin blood bug'.  Disable truetype fonts and you wont suffer.  It seems to occur when theres a bloodstain with a really long name...probably a missing texture

The problem isn't the name length - it's the accented characters in the names.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »

alternatively keep the truetypes and run DFclean regularly

Seems that turning truetype off does help. If the truetype font is enabled - the game becomes prone to crash after the roc kills some elephants and changes his name. I've heard about this bug, but thought it was supposed to crash the game immediately after looking at a named enemy or its blood, but here it crashes a second or more later, so I can actually read the name before that. I don't really like the looks now. Preferred the neat font instead of the blocky one, but at least it doesn't crash now. And highlighted lines in unit list are not blackened.

I tried dfclean, do it regularly as a matter of fact, but it doesn't remove blood stains from items or dwarves, only from terrain. So bodies are still covered in this CrashName's Blood. Also his intestines, feather, skull etc. all keep his name, and they can be loo"k"ed upon when on stockpiles.

Also I've noticed the "water memory effect", when supposedly clean water can stain walls. The game somehow remembers the impurities and can multiply them. I don't remember how many times I tried to remove bloody stains of a certain troll or a certain goblin. They kept reappearing.