Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maintenance!  (Read 830 times)

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
Maintenance!
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:55:49 pm »

I took a quick search for this, and found some similar suggestions, (Such as constructions should collapse if built by unskilled builders and things of that nature.) but what I'm thinking of is a bit different. How about stone that has been mined around degrades over time? Unsmoothed stone could degrade at a slow rate itself, while smoothed stone could degrade at and incredibly slow rate. And, through the use of masons and the like, these exposed walls, ceilings and floors, could be reinforced with more stone to keep them standing. I think it would add a fun level of challenge to the game if it was inevitable that some things collapse, perhaps cutting off parts of the fortress if the hallways are not properly maintained. This may even lead to the abandonment of certain parts of the fort, leaving behind cool adventure mode areas. (So that it actually looks like the fort was abandoned in the first place!)

Now, don't jump to conclusions just yet. It should obviously be easily fixable/maintainable, or it would just be frustrating. Perhaps it could even be turned off if you don't want things like that to happen. But wouldn't it be cool to see parts of a long abandoned fortress falling apart? This could even go as far as being put into adventure mode; no walkways or enclosed spaces would be safe if the fort was abandoned for any more than a small amount of time, as chunks of the crumbling structures would constantly loom overhead and bend underneath, a true worry for even the mightiest of adventurers. Thoughts?
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:59:48 pm »

Nice.  I would suggest that individual roof and floor tiles have a very small chance each day of starting to require maintenance.  This does nothing. 

Once they "require maintenance", after a minimum delay, they have a very small chance of deconstructing spontaneously (with dust), which could remove support for other areas.  A related job can be done that makes this "require maintenance" flag go away. 

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »

Nice.  I would suggest that individual roof and floor tiles have a very small chance each day of starting to require maintenance.  This does nothing. 

Once they "require maintenance", after a minimum delay, they have a very small chance of deconstructing spontaneously (with dust), which could remove support for other areas.  A related job can be done that makes this "require maintenance" flag go away.

Yes, and to notify the player of the fact that something needs repair, that section of the construction could flash a certain color, green being the "starting to require" flag and red being the "requires" flag. These notifications could only be visible while in the designations menu. (Where maybe a repair designation could be found?)
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »

The only issue  I see with this is that the average fort doesn't last that long. Sure there are some people play for decades, but most are far less. Are we really to believe that a fort built of stone is going to start falling apart in only a few years?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »

no it wont but a few forts later when your favorite adventurer comes looting it would be !!fun!! to start grabbing every thing in sight then hear that horrible horrible sound the creaking of the floor then suddenly think that looting a three hundred year old forttress in the shape of a dwarf was NOT a good idea
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:53:25 pm »

Seems like a nice idea, but I should point out that this would probably cause similar fps drops that wear and tear on clothing does. And maybe it shouldn't be a random chance each day, but rather a fixed rate?

Either way, I think we need optimization for what we have first.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:21:52 am »

It's a nice idea, but it requires the standing job orders so that you don't have to micromanage the manteinance squad, else if you build some megaproject you'll end up doing nothing but repairs.