Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nudists Dwarves - clothes in DF  (Read 991 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nudists Dwarves - clothes in DF
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:37:45 am »

Hi,

I really find the feature of having clothers bothersome to the extreme in DF.

1. This clutter inventory. Either your weapons are in the second page, or at the end of the page, in either case, you lose precious seconds to identify what is important and what is not.

2. The dorfs litter the fortress with sinky socks and suchlike.

So aside for 'pseudo realism' (really, realism in DF?) I only find clothes to be an hassle in the game. Let's just pretend clothes are there on all dwarves, and voila!

So, to my question... is it possible to mod DF so that Dorfs don't wear clothes?

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Nudists Dwarves - clothes in DF
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 05:47:16 am »

You could try removing all the clothing item types in the dwarv entry in entity_default.txt That should leave your parent civilisation and your fort with no knowledge of how to make clothes.

I'm not sure what happens if you try this, but you might want to leave them still able to manufacture cloaks if you ever intend to start a fort in a freezing region - cold weather does cause injuries on unclothed bodyparts.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:26:12 pm »

About dwarfs littering clothes everywhere, if you give your dwarfs individual bedrooms and put a cabinet in each bedroom, they should put their clothes into their cabinets.

You could try removing all the clothing item types in the dwarv entry in entity_default.txt That should leave your parent civilisation and your fort with no knowledge of how to make clothes.

You'd probably want to keep shoes, to keep non-military dwarfs from stepping barefoot into puddles of poisonous FB blood.

I'm not sure what happens if you try this, but you might want to leave them still able to manufacture cloaks if you ever intend to start a fort in a freezing region - cold weather does cause injuries on unclothed bodyparts.

No, I tested this by having a dwarf strip naked while on a glacier, and several days of wandering around in the freezing clod did no damage.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »

The clothes hoarding is due to a bug that prevents dwarfs from replacing worn out clothes, they will endlessly claim and hoard clothing, and it will eventually overfill chests/cabinets etc.

A simple solution is to assign all dwarves to an inactive squad. Give them a uniform consisting of leather clothing/armor, set eh uniform to replace civilian clothing and set them to wear the uniform when off-duty.

Leather clothing never wears out and will even give your dwarves a bit of protection against minor attacks.

An even simpler solution in the short term is to use dfhack's autodump tool and collect all clothes to be atom smashed.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26:15 pm »

As all clothing, leather clothing sure does wear out.

The solution is to make them wear armor. Maybe just leather armor and bone greaves/helms/gauntlets/etc. Or make them wear unmelted goblinite.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:26:46 pm »

Clothing acts as protection in DF. Both against temperature extremes and physical attack. This is more relevant in advent mode then when your dwarves are all safe underground, but still.

Clothing is a pain when it comes to item tracking and fps, but its useful in terms of protecting your dwarves and a clothing industry can produce a lot of value.

You could consider compromising by deleting all clothing items out of the raws except robes and maybe cloaks, which provide full coverage. It might help simplify things. Could also look into modding to just make 1 type of clothing that provides full coverage. I did this with goblins and removed some tags that let them use leather and weird stuff from their entity file and made a "goblin uniform" that was always made from pig tail, had max coverage like a robe, and they could only wear one of them, excepting whatever actual armor items they wore.

Made looting battlefields easier as every item an invader brought with them could be inventoried and stored and traded off or destroyed. Instead of ending up with dozens of leather clothing items like loin clothes from every single type of cavern creature, just had the one narrow pigtail goblin uniform. Simple.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:59 pm »

Vanilla glaciers aren't cold enough to cause damage. You need a worldgen specifically geared with ridiculously cold extremes to take damage from the temperature.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »

Is temperature protection granted based on it being clothing, or by the material used?
If a leather robe protects you from the cold, a leather robe modded to be armor should.