Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding other races to be huge.  (Read 487 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Modding other races to be huge.
« on: May 27, 2011, 05:46:13 pm »

Looking for a serious challenge. Where hundreds of goblins/elves/humans/trolls would otherwise just be time consuming and a huge FPS drain, how about modding them to be 5-10 times their normal size? Easier on the FPS and is genuinely harder than modding them to breed like rabbits. Or has this already been done? Will they starve to death as a result of increased food consumption?

Also, is it possible to mod titans and forgotten beasts to be even bigger? Or megabeasts?

edit: Perhaps I should have put this in the modding forum.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:48:12 pm by Lagslayer »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding other races to be huge.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:06:21 pm »

Creatures don't eat more due to size, so they should survive just as easily without. There shouldn't be any serious problems caused by simply multiplying the enemies' size, and should make them tougher. You won't be able to use goblin or elven equipment if you increase their size, and goblin goods will provide the same amount of metal.

You can't mod randomly-generated creatures. The megabeasts in the raws, like dragons, rocs, hydras, and bronze colossi, could be beefed up, however.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:44:33 pm »

Thank you. Time to mod these suckers.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:27:25 pm »

One more related question. How big does something have to be to be immune to atom-smashing?

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:03:16 pm »

I dont think its size that makes them immune to atom smashing, its a special characteristic hardcoded into DF.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:16:32 pm »

I dont think its size that makes them immune to atom smashing, its a special characteristic hardcoded into DF.
The special characteristic is size  :P

I'm not sure what size gives immunity in the current version. In 40d, it was size 10, which doesn't exactly correspond to any size in 31.x; size 10 creatures in 40d correspond to size 200,000-1,500,000 in 31.x. 5 million (elephants) is surely big enough to render creatures immune to bridges, though I doubt that that's the lower limit. 2 million, maybe? No idea.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:56:45 am »

The special characteristic is size  :P

I'm not sure what size gives immunity in the current version. In 40d, it was size 10, which doesn't exactly correspond to any size in 31.x; size 10 creatures in 40d correspond to size 200,000-1,500,000 in 31.x. 5 million (elephants) is surely big enough to render creatures immune to bridges, though I doubt that that's the lower limit. 2 million, maybe? No idea.

If there is no hardcoded characteristic then there must be TWO sizes (calculated independently for each target, they don't add). A single elephant is enough to break a closing bridge, but a single elephant calf is enough to stop a bridge from closing. Both animals stop it from opening. So an elephant calf can't be crushed, but it also won't damage the bridge when trying.  I tried it maximally with seven calves, and the bridge won't close at all, despite them weighting more than a single adult elephant. When killed on spot the bridge closes, so they must be alive to be protected.