Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What program can I use to put my fortress into "retirement"?  (Read 1063 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

I want to visit my fort in adventure mode, but I don't know what program puts your fort into retirement.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What program can I use to put my fortress into "retirement"?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »

No retirement to speak of. You have to abandon it to visit in adventure mode, and everything will be dead and scattered about.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 08:07:49 pm »

The program you're looking for is DFusion, though I'm not entirely sure how the process is done. I know it involves swapping to control of a single creature in fort mode, which effectively switches you to adventure mode, but I don't know how that's done or if there's any other steps to it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:18:55 pm »

You could also use the DFlair program from the DFhack pack. That sets your fort as a lair and your items won't scatter when you abandon.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:43:54 pm »

The new dfhack has the program for switching between df mode and adventure mode, and as described above it basically takes control of one entity.  However it is recommended to make a copy of the game folder in their readme as instability may result and returning back to fort mode might be weird too.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:30:20 pm »

You can simply copy the save files somewhere else on your computer then abandon (this will delete the save files in the folder which is why you need to copy them if you want to keep the fort) then when you are done messing about in adventure mode you just move the copied files back into the save folder.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:56:45 pm »

DF Mode !! I'll look up the link/ reference to how it's done. Not sure if DF Mode is part of DFusion or a stand-alone (Edit: it's in DFHack), but it's definitely the tool for "retiring" a fortress and keeping the dwarves alive. You'll need DFusion too.

OK: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81738.msg2165488#msg2165488

Edit: Step 1 in the guide might be better to use the "DFLair" utility in DFHack rather than DFusion's util
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:10:40 pm by Reelyanoob »