Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relationships Page Suggestion  (Read 906 times)

Orealisk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Relationships Page Suggestion
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:27:47 am »

To make this as simple as possible, I have a lot of dwarves suddenly having kids out of nowhere, then finding later they're married and I never knew, or one dies and suddenly oh no everyone is sad and angry.

So I was hoping there might could be a way in future developments if a page listing all the relationships of the dwarves could be created so instead of go to dwarf, look if they have anyone, next dwarf and so on, one could just go to say...the overview page and see relationships and it have each dwarf and who they're married to or who has kids. Friends could be done too, but I see that taking too much space unless it's truly desired. I just like knowing to keep them together or to prevent a downward spiral of death because oops, I killed a wife and mom of 7 kids.

Thanks for reading and good luck
Quantum Dumps Are For Sissies.

Giant Dumps That Bog Pathing Are For The Strong.

Livingstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relationships Page Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:27:26 am »

Well, the game actually does announce marriages and new mothers and they're quite hard to miss, so only complete lack of attention towards announcements could result in those to go unnoticed. Also to find married couples with children is quite easy, when checking the children's relationships.

On almost related note, my legendary miner was assigned to dispatch his berserking glassmaker wife, which is all kinds of tragic.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »

tbh relationships like in dwarf fortress and especially the tantrum spirals like that do not make any sense at all... if stuff like that really happened people would have gone extinct in a tribe society

id agree that for a very good friend you will bet the described behaviour possibly, but not just any friend, friendship does not work in a way that "you can friend the entire village like its facebook"

friendship really goes deeper, anyone who says he has more then 3 good friends does not know what friendship is, and probably has no good friend, and just acquaintances he hangs out with

i suggest to split friend into more options, and in stead from making it a 0 to 100 scale, an Y structure in a 0 to 100 scale
(basically, dwarves start at 0 with each other when they meet, the game checks if they are compatible and turns it in a boolean, if yes the scale moves up  if no the scale moves in the negative (faster or slower the more they are socially developed)

from not known to long term acquaintance there really is no difference between if its a positive relationship or a negative, its just "they are starting to know each other"
after that it splits into negative or positive effects when the relationship further progresses (the Y structure)

Best friend (the same as "friend" atm in game in all ways, but only 1 is possible at one time, being someone best friend does not make it obligatory he is your best friend but its possible)
    Good friend (a true friend, someone who has there back in a fistfight ;) )
    friend (someone you can start a conversation with at any time and hang out)
    Long-term Acquaintance (same as passing, but for a longer time)
    Passing Acquaintance (no need for them to like each other, they just "know" each other)
    not known (they do not know each other, a fictive value only used the moment they meet)
    Passing Acquaintance
    Long-term Acquaintance
    Disliked (someone you are not really compatible with, but you can chat with if required)
    Grudge (you do not like this person, chatting casually feels awkward or disturbing)
    Enemy (he makes your blood boil)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:32:13 pm by blizzerd »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »

Best friend (the same as "friend" atm in game in all ways, but only 1 is possible at one time, being someone best friend does not   make it obligatory he is your best friend but its possible)
    Passing Acquaintance (no need for them to like each other, they just "know" each other)
    not known (they do not know each other, a fictive value only used the moment they meet)
    Passing Acquaintance
    Long-term Acquaintance
    Disliked (someone you are not really compatible with, but you can chat with if required)
    Grudge (you do not like this person, chatting casually feels awkward or disturbing)

For some reason this was posted once and the reply was lost.  Suffice to say I like this system and it offers a lot of chances to build in additional realism.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:07:15 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Orealisk

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »

It's not really the fact of missing who is married, but when you have 70 dwarves, more so remembering. It's a pain to try to and many people like me have horrible organizational or record keeping skills. This could even be some historical tracking for the book keeper. It would just be a small side project if even. Not at all necessary but convenient.

And I also don't understand the downward spiral of friend levels and so forth but it does make a very big challenge for keeping the fort functioning ;D

It would be nice if criteria for the levels of friendship were stricter though, so as to make it harder to create a death wave because of one dwarf.

Quantum Dumps Are For Sissies.

Giant Dumps That Bog Pathing Are For The Strong.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »

To make this as simple as possible, I have a lot of dwarves suddenly having kids out of nowhere, then finding later they're married and I never knew, or one dies and suddenly oh no everyone is sad and angry.

So I was hoping there might could be a way in future developments if a page listing all the relationships of the dwarves could be created so instead of go to dwarf, look if they have anyone, next dwarf and so on, one could just go to say...the overview page and see relationships and it have each dwarf and who they're married to or who has kids. Friends could be done too, but I see that taking too much space unless it's truly desired. I just like knowing to keep them together or to prevent a downward spiral of death because oops, I killed a wife and mom of 7 kids.

Thanks for reading and good luck

This is a good idea. It would be very useful. Perhaps the relationships readout could be a new section of the Status screen (the 'z' menu).

I also support blizzerd's idea of multiple levels of friendship.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 02:00:15 pm »

Best friend (the same as "friend" atm in game in all ways, but only 1 is possible at one time, being someone best friend does not   make it obligatory he is your best friend but its possible)
    Passing Acquaintance
    Long-term Acquaintance

I support this, I especially like the increased levels instead of just 'grudge'. I do feel like your grudge needs to be stepped up a notch though. Once fist fights are in with taverns and the like fights between grudges should be common if they start talking while enemies should be fighting if they just pass in the hallway. I also think that friends should help you in fistfights to, but Good friends are just more common. Additionally friendship shouldn't be mutual. Dwarf A might consider Dwarf B a good friend, but Dwarf B might only consider Dwarf A to be a Long-Term Acquaintance depending on their personalities.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »

Personally, I would also like to see emotions and interpersonal relationships in general fleshed out a bit more. It would add a lot to the game's Verisimilitude.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις