Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploratory Digging  (Read 430 times)

Siiig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Exploratory Digging
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:55 pm »

I was hoping to get some tips on digging with finding new rock in mind. How do you guys go about it? So far I've tried just strip mining massive areas or running long 2 wide tunnels all around the Z level. Anyone have an opinion on which is better or more efficient? How do you guys do it?
Visit my blog and see what's going on in my fort =)

http://siiigfort.blogspot.com/

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploratory Digging
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:34:37 pm »

Well, I usually do the blatantly cheatyfaced method of simply using DFReveal, checking out mineral locations, maybe designating veins with DFVeinDig, and then unrevealing...  ::)

There is the Exploratory Mining page on the wiki that gives several useful methods of doing underground exploration.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exploratory Digging
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

I tried using 2-wide corridors, but found that problematic with too many miners, and the way mining designations work in this game. It leads to miners walking long ways to dig 1 tile. Maybe 1-wide corridors would be better.

Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral