Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3D dot game heroes trailer references Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1836 times)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
3D dot game heroes trailer references Dwarf Fortress
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:40 am »

There's a new trailer for 3D dot game heroes out. The trailer is fairly boring until the last few seconds, in which you'll see something interesting.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3D dot game heroes trailer references Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:15:06 am »

Standard ASCII face, still cool looking though. Speaking of which, what is this game about?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:52:20 am »

Standard ASCII face, still cool looking though. Speaking of which, what is this game about?

If my memory serves me right, its like a Zelda game making references to just about every old game that exists. Oh, and everything is make of blocks, so lego sort of. With lots of comedy in it also. I actually wanted to buy it, but its on PS3.  :-\

I believe at the begining everything is 2-D. Tourism is poor. So the king asks the wizard to make everything 3-D. And so your game becomes 3-D. A sample of the comedy.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:39:12 am »

You also get to make your own 3D 8-bit style character :3

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:53:20 am »

so.. dotnia fortress?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »

PS3? Another game I have to put on my rent list, damn its getting big now. But alas, I am too lazy to go to blockbusters.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »

It's effectively a game "heavily inspired" by Zelda. It's really awesome though, and the humour's brilliant.
Also, actually, The kingdom is 2D until tourism starts dying down, in an effort to rebuild the industry the King orders the mages to make it 3D, but they get interrupted half way through, so it's 2.5D.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:53 pm »

It's very good too! ;D [/redundancy]

There are a lot of references in this game, and the ascii character in the video is one of the player created heroes that can be up/downloaded. It references Dragon Warrior/Quest, Demon's Souls, and also has a lot of programmer in-jokes.

Why was the king able to turn everything 3D just through will?
Ask him, it's funny. :)

HoppyDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Miner cancels Drink; Interrupted by Carp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 06:57:18 pm »

I know this is a supremely old topic, but I'm the one that made the ASCII hero, and it was directly a reference to Dwarf Fortress.  I made it using the in-game character editor and I was a winner in their contest.  That was a few years ago though, but I found this thread when I decided to see if anyone had ever made the connection..

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:19:24 am »

I know this is a supremely old topic, but I'm the one that made the ASCII hero, and it was directly a reference to Dwarf Fortress.  I made it using the in-game character editor and I was a winner in their contest.  That was a few years ago though, but I found this thread when I decided to see if anyone had ever made the connection..

Thank you very much for making it. I just started playing that game today and I just about crapped myself when I saw the Dwarf hero. Of course, I selected him to be the protagonist and I named him Urist.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 11:00:57 am »

Good job! Keep spreading the word of Armok by using references, symbols and subliminal messages.