Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flying creatures and cage traps  (Read 854 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flying creatures and cage traps
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:46:51 am »

Can flying creatures such as buzzards and Giant Eagles be caught in cages? I'm pretty interested in getting a few giant eagles for war purposes, but the elves are being very uncooperative with regards to the animals the bring  :(
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Flying creatures and cage traps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:58:23 am »

I believe someone made a dwarven defense shield with floating traps.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:46 am »

As long as the creature passes a trap on the same z-level, it should be caught, flier or not. Well, at least the "regular" wildlife.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:10:11 am »

You can catch flying creatures in cage traps. But they have to be on the same z-level.

In other words, don't let them fly over your traps.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »

thanx, already have an idea on how to get them to stay on the same level as the traps (Covered trap hallway built out in the middle of the map). Next question would be how to lure them into it to guarantee they run through my traps
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:22:53 pm »

thanx, already have an idea on how to get them to stay on the same level as the traps (Covered trap hallway built out in the middle of the map). Next question would be how to lure them into it to guarantee they run through my traps
chained kitten bait?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:27:33 pm »

giant eagles will go after kittens?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »

In the current version Giant Eagles, like most wild animals, will actively avoid your dwarves and animals, and will only fight when cornered.  A chained kitten will actually scare them away.  You need to set up traps in areas where the eagles wander around naturally and then just hope they blunder in on their own.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:49:32 pm »

In the current version Giant Eagles, like most wild animals, will actively avoid your dwarves and animals, and will only fight when cornered.  A chained kitten will actually scare them away.  You need to set up traps in areas where the eagles wander around naturally and then just hope they blunder in on their own.
In my experience they won't fight even if cornered. I had countless Benny Hill-esque chases involving my hunter and a hapless rhinoceros.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:26:14 am »

In my experience they won't fight even if cornered. I had countless Benny Hill-esque chases involving my hunter and a hapless rhinoceros.

Then he wasn't really cornered :) Even peafowl fight when they really have no choice (and can make some random damage) but they prefer to run if possible. But yes, it's hard to chase wild animals, takes much time, involves much of the map area, might be fun (goblin ambushes waiting) though military is usually successful. Sometimes animals run to the edge and vanish, like cowardly goblins, but most often they are killed. Hunters in my opinion are lame.