Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: haulers stop hauling  (Read 700 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
haulers stop hauling
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »

so i tried a +50 fort for a change

i have a fort of 200 dwarfs, 100 of them do nothing but haul stuff around

stuff isnt hauled around, i dont use burrows and my stockpiles remain empty and workshops cluttered :(

a small portion does get hauled, but like 75 of my haulers are hanging around in the statue park doing nothing (no job)

its the 12th year now in the forts existence and i made a LOT of stuff, could it be some kind of AI problem that makes it creep to a halt over time? or just too much stuff to haul? i didnt get this problem untill year 8 or so and its becoming worse and worse

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: haulers stop hauling
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:36 pm »

anyone? im pretty desperate

food is starting to rot etc, lots of mouths to feed

might have to start an aggressive eugenics program to cut down on mouths to feed, but then again wont my haulers go down too?

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:16 pm »

Do you a save to have people look at?  I'd recommend not playing the fort for a bit to see if there is an answer.  The obvious stuff to check would be if stuff you want hauled is forbidden, or if the right hauling labors are on.  But as a general problem it's not one I've ever seen, though I don't yet have a fort of that size in this version. 

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »

For food do you have enough barrels? Or for other things bins? Try making some if you don't and you can make rooms and fill them with furniture for nobles/for fun to get the haulers to do something.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:36 pm »

Also check orders. You might have mistakenly forbid certain things to collect/haul
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:09:09 am »

Have you tried specializing some of those haulers, like setting some to only haul food?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:49:04 am »

Have you tried specializing some of those haulers, like setting some to only haul food?

no, trying that now

its not forbidden ether, i am "short-ish" (no wood embark) on barrels and bins too, but working on that now il tell if its fixed

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:44:51 am »

new reply for fixed problem

the stockpiles i made were all made by using the "custom" stockpile function, and on all of those i somehow disabled both "allow plant/animal, and allow non-plant/animal option (so basically nothing in the world applied for those stockpiles) however, the section remained lit up as if it allowed everything (bug?) only looking at it in detail revealed the entire list was disabled

with your suggestions however i was able to make my haulers double as efficient as they were before, i learned that specific haul actions for specific dwarves makes you able to say what haul tasks are more important (assign more haulers) and thus improves productivity

thanks all

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:04:54 am »

I think the custom stockpile option stays lit regardless, even if you actually filter out every imaginable item.  I generally play such massive 200-300 dwarf forts, often for 15-20 years and I've never noticed any problems with the AI at the top end (beyond the expected FPS impact)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:49:47 am »

yea, i can run it with 100 fps with 200 dwarfs so i decided like "why the heck not" since ive only played this game with popcap of 50 (easier and every dwarf has a determined function)