Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badger assault squad?  (Read 768 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badger assault squad?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

So, a whole crapload of badgers wandered onto my map and got caught by cage trap. I dumped 9 of them into the military training grounds, but I still got 8 left. My fort just got an offer to become a barony, and that means that a Dungeon Master is gonna show up, right? I'm kinda worried though, because the wiki says that the DM is bugged and won't train [PET_EXOTIC]s. Call me an elf, but I kinda have an...issue with modifying the raws in any way, even if it's a small change like exotic to regular pet. Is the wiki right, or it is a false rumor?

On a related note, how dangerous are the badgers? I've seen horror stories about them, but the group that attacked my fort only manager to wound a random tame vulture and spook a few dwarves.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Badger assault squad?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »

The dungeon master will not show up.

Badgers are aggressive but not all that dangerous.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:01:26 pm »

Balls...

I'm tempted to throw my Animal Trainer into the caverns. Would do the same for the new baron, but he's actually useful for something else.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »

Call me an elf, but I kinda have an...issue with modifying the raws in any way, even if it's a small change like exotic to regular pet. Is the wiki right, or it is a false rumor?
Yer a damn dirty Elf and the wiki is correct.

If you're really worried about modding the raws, copy the whole game, everything, to a new folder, call it Dwarf Fortress Modded, and then edit the raws.  This way even if you screw something up horribly, your old save and the game are still totally playable.

Heck I do it, just so I can have a pure vanilla game as well as my "fixed" game.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:11 pm »

Badgers shouldnt be an issue for training on.  they are a threat when they enrage on lone haulers and weak hunters.  The giant versions are pretty fun vs leather armor.  Capybaras are basically badger clones in this respect

And yes.  Raw mods are the only way to tame 90%+ of the games creatures.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:44:33 am »

Lazy Newbie pack has 'exotics off', which makes everything trainable, which is what Dwarves should really be able to do, and it makes up for the lack of the DM.

Anyway, I got a tame one off some strangely dead elves, and during what my engravers are calling the 6th attempted assault, it sat in-between two bridges and killed two (wounded) trolls.

There are bad ass animals.  Do tame animals get named when they kill enough?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:33:45 am »

Yes, all animals get named when they kill enough.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:32:16 am »

Lazy Newbie pack has 'exotics off', which makes everything trainable, which is what Dwarves should really be able to do, and it makes up for the lack of the DM.

Hmmm...I'm using the Lazy Newb pack and I can't tame Deer or train Black Bear so I don't think that's correct.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:55:18 am »

Badgers shouldnt be an issue for training on.  they are a threat when they enrage on lone haulers and weak hunters.  The giant versions are pretty fun vs leather armor.  Capybaras are basically badger clones in this respect
Not much experience with capybaras, but they don' seem to get angry because of your existence.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:19:16 am »

Hmmm...I'm using the Lazy Newb pack and I can't tame Deer or train Black Bear so I don't think that's correct.

You shouldn't feel like cheating, it's honestly fixing a bug IMHO.
Setting "exotics" off only works when you gen a new world. Yeah, a shame Urist McLegendaryTrainer can't train a big hamster, huh?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:25 am »

You are right...the capybaras dont rage.  Until your hunter shoots them.  Theyre eating my poor noob marksdwarves
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 12:49:33 pm »

And yes.  Raw mods are the only way to tame 90%+ of the games creatures.
Capybaras, oddly, you can tame by default...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.