Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Individual locations randomized on discovery?  (Read 516 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Individual locations randomized on discovery?
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:38 am »

Alright I don't know how to explain this but I'll give an example.

For the longest I thought that worldgen created every part of the world. I think I was very wrong. Recently I had an adventure that went on a quest to kill a dragon in its lair. It found the lair in the side of a mountain, and killed it... but the dragon had torn off one leg and one arm. I knew it would have been disappointing to continue like that, so unusual for me, instead of saving or retiring, I force-closed DF. Then I started back from where I saved: right before heading off to kill the dragon.

So I went to the same spot, but... the layout was completely different. The items in the dragon's lair were different, the layout of the lair was different, and the mountainside it was in was completely different. In fact, the layout of the trees, grass and everything was different.

So my question is: are individual locations really just procedurally generated "static" that are created when you travel to them when they haven't been loaded before?

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual locations randomized on discovery?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:23:54 am »

the basics are generated in world gen, the rest is procedurally generated once you visit them, i think...

same with embarks, the basic "land elevations" are no more determined then what the embark window shows you with the scouter UNTILL you actually embark there

what "the basics" exactly are, is not really known i think

otherwise the worldgen would take weeks to complete in stead of minutes, sorry no way around it i guess

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual locations randomized on discovery?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:57 am »

Yeah, I think it's probably better that it does that. Otherwise we'd be waiting for thousands of times longer than the 2D version's worldgen. I'm interested in what the "basics" are though... It would be neat to find out.