Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF can't find an "entry point"?  (Read 1766 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
DF can't find an "entry point"?
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:07:58 pm »

Hullo,

After a long hiatus, I recently decided to get back into DF.  After realizing that the new Mac version doesn't work on my Tiger machine, I loaded up the Windows SDL version and installed it in Windows XP using Parallels Desktop on my Mac.  After extracting the files, I go to start DF and...get the following error message:

The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I replaced the kernel32.dll file with a more recent one and changed the regsvr32 so that it pointed to the updated dll, but I still get the same error message.  Has anyone run into this problem and/or have suggestions?

Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: DF can't find an "entry point"?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:54 pm »

You can't just go replacing kernel32.dll, as it is a vital operating system component - in fact, it's highly likely that your replacement attempt had no effect at all because Windows File Protection undid it for you.

The reason your kernel32.dll doesn't have DecodePointer is because your copy of Windows XP is too out of date - you must install Service Pack 2 or later in order to run Dwarf Fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF can't find an "entry point"?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:25:06 pm »

You need to update your windows xp to Windows Xp Service Pack 3.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*