Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When does fertilizer count?  (Read 1001 times)

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When does fertilizer count?
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:59:51 pm »

When does fertilizer count?

Is it:

1. When fertilized ground contains a planted seed, that seed is given a hidden "will be productive" status, which it retains even if the ground loses fertilized status before the seed grows into a plant.

or

2. As above, but order matters: it only counts if the fertilization is done before the planting.

or

3. Every frame that the seed spends in ground with the fertilized status increases its yield fractionally - the yield is then rounded to a whole number when the plant is ready for harvest. Time spent growing in ground before it is fertilized, or after it has lost fertilized status, does not increase the yield.

or

4. If the ground has fertilized status at the time when the crop sprouts, the yield is quadrupled. If the ground is unfertilized at that time, the yield is the same as if it had never been fertilized, even if it was in fact fertilized in the previous season when the seed was planted.

?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: When does fertilizer count?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:03:55 pm »

My experience suggests that #4 is the case, except it doesn't actually quadruple the output - normal harvests are 1-6, while fertilized harvests are as high as 11.

The easiest way to test this would be to fertilize a plot immediately before the crops mature, then fertilize another plot and plant seeds such that they mature just after the beginning of the next season (at which point it wears off).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.