Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dyspraxia - Like Clumsiness Taken To It's Logical Extreme  (Read 5600 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dyspraxia - Like Clumsiness Taken To It's Logical Extreme
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 07:18:26 pm »

I'm clumsy, but that's mostly to do with being fairly tall and broad, with long arms and legs. Narrowly set shelves are a nightmare, as are very small objects and poorly balanced things out of my normal line of sight.
Yeah, that there is why I bump into things a lot.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 05:14:54 pm »

I'm clumsy, but that's mostly to do with being fairly tall and broad, with long arms and legs. Narrowly set shelves are a nightmare, as are very small objects and poorly balanced things out of my normal line of sight.

Have a run down of the other symptoms. I thought this was the case for a good deal of time, but it really isn't.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »

On the bright side, "above average intellegence" is also a symptom. I think. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Tell me its true!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »

They all say that as a morale boost for people affected with it.

I was diagnosed with a syndrome once. Gave me a victim mentality. Did nothing for me but get me depressed. I threw out all that nonsense half a year ago. Life is infinitely better.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 10:25:37 pm »

They all say that as a morale boost for people affected with it.

Yeah, this pisses me off, mostly because it also seems to be an excuse to deny help if you're above the intelligence cutoff.

I was diagnosed with a syndrome once. Gave me a victim mentality. Did nothing for me but get me depressed. I threw out all that nonsense half a year ago. Life is infinitely better.

I tried to do this, but the mental model where all of this crap unexplainably happened to me for no reason was far more depressing than the model where it could all be explained in time.

To each his or her own =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:30:42 am »

On the bright side, "above average intellegence" is also a symptom. I think. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Tell me its true!

That's dyslexia. :(

I didn't it was possible to be diagnosed with Wankeritis. Then again, I guess you have it bad...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:03 am »

Have a run down of the other symptoms. I thought this was the case for a good deal of time, but it really isn't.
It's probably mostly down to my wearing glasses. Very short sighted, so my peripheral vision outside the lenses sucks.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 09:55:30 am »

I kindof agree, although I'd have approached it from a slightly different angle (your problems shouldn't have to be defined by a psychologist in order to be recognised as problems).  I mean, the current way of doing it seems misleading in many ways... people who have problems but don't technically fit a definition are thought of as incurable/ not really having problems, people assume that you must medicate someone with a syndrome, and of course possible victim mentalities that could develop.

I tried to do this, but the mental model where all of this crap unexplainably happened to me for no reason was far more depressing than the model where it could all be explained in time.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.  What happened to you happened to you whether or not it fits some arbitrary definition.  Indeed, I don't see why you not fitting a definition would mean that what happened to you had "no reason" (or, if it didn't, why fitting the definition would somehow give it a reason)...

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 10:00:36 am »

It's probably mostly down to my wearing glasses. Very short sighted, so my peripheral vision outside the lenses sucks.

Yet another excuse I used. :p

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 10:14:36 am »

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  What happened to you happened to you whether or not it fits some arbitrary definition.  Indeed, I don't see why you not fitting a definition would mean that what happened to you had "no reason" (or, if it didn't, why fitting the definition would somehow give it a reason)...

What happened to me happened, but I'm a hell of a lot happier if I can say "Ahhh, I look strange, act strange, and think in ways that other people find unusual!  I can change some of this!"

Otherwise, I end up with "What the fuck is wrong with you guys?  I'm normal in absolutely every way!"

As much as the little voice in the back of my head continues to say "But come on, guys, I'm just like you, c'mon, let's be friends," knowing that it isn't true makes rejection a lot easier to take.

Also, this removes me from what I believed in high school, which was that clearly I just wasn't doing well enough at schoolwork for people to want to associate with me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 10:42:17 am »

Surely you can say that you're different regardless of whether a bunch of psychologists have assigned a category to you...?  Indeed, why would someone who has similar problems to you but who does not fit into the category not be able to change/ be forced to think of themselves as normal?

I dunno, I just find it odd how much being on one side of a definition can change things...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 03:45:17 pm »

I'm not arguing with you about this.

To each his or her own =)

This, right here, is the part where I am informing you that I am not going to sit through one more person trying to fuck around with this label and my perception of it.  My business.

Oh, I'm sorry, it seems that I need to justify myself so that all the non-labeled people can feel okay about the words I use for myself. 

I spent two years trying to fight it off, doing whatever I could up to and including suspecting myself of having fabricated the memories that would imply the disorder in childhood.  Do you know what it's like to constantly question yourself of delusion, asking and asking so that you might have a chance of continuing to live in the "normal" box, with all the people who seem to hate you so much, who constantly ask you what your face is doing or what that gesture means because your body doesn't speak the same language?  To spend hours every day crying, because the mere thought of embracing your evident loneliness is so unbearable?

I am already labeled as outside the norm by society, extremely so.  The fact that you don't see this through the internet doesn't mean that you can repudiate it, as multiple people have attempted to do.

The difference is that I don't feel entirely alone.

I don't want to be unique in the world, but people use all these words to imply uniqueness, rareness, specialness.

It makes me sick.  It makes me sick to be set apart, also.

But at least this way I'm set apart with others.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »

Yet another excuse I used. :p
My fault for wearing my glasses so far down my quite considerable nose. It's easier to read close up.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 [2]