Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large Gem Stockpile?  (Read 4696 times)

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large Gem Stockpile?
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:17:31 pm »

Hi there,

I cannot find the stockpile for large gems.
Tried the wiki but the page for large gems is not there.
There is just a small note on the gem page how they are made, but not where to put them.

:)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Large Gem Stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »

Finished goods, type -> large gems, bottom of first page.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »

Note that most large gems will not be put into finished goods stockpiles. Large gems are usually made of a gemstone. Items are put into a stockpile that accepts both their material type and their item type. Large gems go only into finished goods stockpiles. Finished goods stockpiles do not include the option to accept gemstones as a material type. So, you can't put most large gems into any stockpile; the exceptions are large glass gems. A large diamond, however, or a large onyx, or any other such large gemstone, will not be stockpiled, ever, nor will any other craft made of a gem.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »

Hmm... my Trade Depot is full of them, because I bought all of them on every caravan :(
What to do with them now?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:39 pm »

Hmm... my Trade Depot is full of them, because I bought all of them on every caravan :(
What to do with them now?
Use them to [e]ncrust another finished good with them, to increase the (sale) value. ;D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:57 pm »

Well, they're completely useless except as trade goods (encrusting is done with small gems, not large), so trade them away? You could dump them all on top of your jeweler's workshop, encrust each of them with another gem type to "naturalize" them, and then sell them if you wanted to increase your exported wealth as well as decrease your imported wealth. Alternatively, just atomsmash them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:30 pm »

Ah, my mistake on the stockpile thing. I guess I never noticed the lack of material setting since I sell those off ASAP.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:39:48 am »

This is why I try to keep all my gem cutters with low skills, so there are less gem scepters and 'large gem' vendor trash laying around.  It's annoying in that it's really the only skill where you get less useful things the longer you train it.  If gem crafts and large gems were separate jobs with a high chance of failure then that would be a lot more sensible.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:43:27 am »

It's a recent bug. In my old 31.18 forts, large gems are taken to the finished goods stockpiles just fine.